• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I could be wrong, but wasn't there something about Brentford's add ons had an upper limit of 5m?
Are add-ons and sell-ons the same thing? I thought add-ons were for him hitting milestones whilst with Villa. A sell-on would be triggered upon his sale. So whilst we've been told that the add-ons are capped at £5m I haven't seen anything mentioning a sell-on %.

We have that kind of deal with Ampadu don't we?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why on earth would he go there ? They were after him in the summer, wanted him on the cheap and would have used him as a back up. Instead he goes to Villa on £71k a week and gets to play virtually every minute of every game and even earns an England call up ! You certainly can't criticise Ollie for his choice. Jose's days at WHL seem numbered and would another manager rate him highly enough. You only have to look at Ampadu's fall from favour at Chelski after Conte's sacking to show how quickly things can go t**s up, when first Sari and then Lampard shoved him out on loan.
Comparing Ollie at Spurs and Ampadu at Chelsea is apples and oranges.

If joining last summer Ollie would have been bench warming at Spurs with Kane in occupation. With Kane gone it would be a completely new ball game.

If he goes to Citeh or Poo he might be bench warming. Manure might be better

Leicester ? Wet Spam if they get a CL slot ? Nah.

All idle thoughts of course and Poch at PSG might be interested.

Colesman Ballz

Are add-ons and sell-ons the same thing? I thought add-ons were for him hitting milestones whilst with Villa. A sell-on would be triggered upon his sale. So whilst we've been told that the add-ons are capped at £5m I haven't seen anything mentioning a sell-on %.

We have that kind of deal with Ampadu don't we?
My understanding is this. Our contract is with Brentford, which includes 15% of their profits. Brentford's contract is with Villa and and includes add ons which are capped at a maximum of £5m from whatever source they come , not being relegated, England appearances, onward transfer profits etc. Therefore the maximum they will get is £33 m even if Villa were to sell him for £100m this summer. Under our contract with Brentford they have pay us 15 % of their profit, which cannot exceed the extra £5m figure which entiles us to £750k maximum.

Nigel E

My understanding is this. Our contract is with Brentford, which includes 15% of their profits. Brentford's contract is with Villa and and includes add ons which are capped at a maximum of £5m from whatever source they come , not being relegated, England appearances, onward transfer profits etc. Therefore the maximum they will get is £33 m even if Villa were to sell him for £100m this summer. Under our contract with Brentford they have pay us 15 % of their profit, which cannot exceed the extra £5m figure which entiles us to £750k maximum.
There's a chance that there's also a separate sell-on clause based on a percentage of any profits that Villa make on a subsequent transfer. Brentford usually operate that way, but I've not seen it reported on the Watkins deal though, and would be of no interest to us anyway. Sell-on clauses don't cascade down that way.

Our interest ends at our share of the £5M add ons.

Rosencrantz

Capping a sell on doesn't make sense though. You can cap add ons to a certain maximum level based on appearances, bonus payments (the non relegation clause in this case). But capping a sell on I have never heard of and I cannot see any selling club agreeing to. The whole point of a sell on is a share of future proceeds or profits as ours was with Brentford.

Having said all that I have never seen any mention of a sell on negotiated between Villa and Brentford anyway.

Rosencrantz

There's a chance that there's also a separate sell-on clause based on a percentage of any profits that Villa make on a subsequent transfer. Brentford usually operate that way, but I've not seen it reported on the Watkins deal though, and would be of no interest to us anyway. Sell-on clauses don't cascade down that way.

Our interest ends at our share of the £5M add ons.
Our deal was for 15% of any profit made by Brentford. Any money they receive through a sell on (if it exists) is profit.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The devil is always in the detail. You could be right, but you might not be!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our deal was for 15% of any profit made by Brentford. Any money they receive through a sell on (if it exists) is profit.
This is how I see it. Not saying it is but it could be.

JJ red&white

But when does the chain end? If he moves to united, then Real Madrid and al have sell ons, you would argue every club below them has made a profit and therefore the club below that are owed more money.

As others have said, we are entitled to 15% of the possible £5m Brentford could earn, however I believe a sell on clause between Brentford and villa has no impact on us, as this is a future agreement that has no fair value at the point of contract.

Nigel E

All I can say is that I've never heard of a sell-on clause cascading down successive transfers of one player in that way.