• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

StudentGrecian

I think you're mixing up your Stuart Jameses.
I am indeed, should have realised the Athletic article was a different Stuart James!

Ash

500K and 15% sell on is what I was also told.
By whom? Someone in the know, or some numpty down the pub?

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not so good then 15% , need his fee to make 30M now at that rate to get a proportionate sum and I can’t see him going for that this term although we could pray for a bidding war.
Still , as Ash says what’s the source of all this , nobody seems to really know outside the clubs.
Anyway , after tonight things will come to some sort of conclusion. If the above information on a bonus holds good we’re covered both ways even though a promotion bonus would be crumbs from the rich man’s table.

Red Devon

Not so good then 15% , need his fee to make 30M now at that rate to get a proportionate sum and I can’t see him going for that this term although we could pray for a bidding war.
Still , as Ash says what’s the source of all this , nobody seems to really know outside the clubs.
Anyway , after tonight things will come to some sort of conclusion. If the above information on a bonus holds good we’re covered both ways even though a promotion bonus would be crumbs from the rich man’s table.
Don’t fall into the trap of counting the money before we get it, How much would we get if Brentford fail to get promoted and end up keeping hold of Watkins.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don’t fall into the trap of counting the money before we get it, How much would we get if Brentford fail to get promoted and end up keeping hold of Watkins.
I really can’t see Watkins staying if Brentford don’t go up. He’s the best young English striker outside of the Premier League and plenty of clubs will surely be wanting to take that kind of player.

Plus, Watkins himself will want to take any opportunity to play in the Premier League. With Brentford’s model of signing young talent, they would be insane to put a block on a move as that would mean young players would be less likely to sign in the future if they know they may be stopped from progressing.

Banksy

True indeed Red. I see too that Brentford, if promoted, will gain up to a hundred and sixty million pounds , no you didn’t misread it! Crumbs indeed for us with our pittance and now maybe just 15% from the widely anticipated 20% but no doubt Tagg will rise from the mist and enlighten us if there’s a sniff of it.
Just want to get a few million under our belt soonest for City’s sake.We can dream can’t we?

Bittners a Legend

If and when we get some dollar for the lad, who gets the plaudits for securing the add-ons? Taggy ? Steve Perryman ?

It'll be interesting to read the reactions of their fiercest critics.
Not wanting to rake over old wounds but from what I understand Derby were going to pay £3m for Watkins in the January before we sold him. We held on in the hope he would be worth more if he got us promoted (and because we wanted a loan back), promising he could leave in the summer regardless, and then of course it all went wrong at Wembley. Only Brentford were interested in the summer and so he ended up going for £1.8m. Of course the flood of even more TV money since has meant that the sell-on is potentially worth far more than the cash up front we turned down back in Jan 2017.

Incidentally it tells you a lot about Ollie's character that he was in the East Midlands on transfer deadline day, didn't get his move, came back down to Exeter and scored that night off the bench in the win over Wycombe. Seems inevitable at this point that he will play in the Premier League regardless of what happens tonight and that is great exposure for us.

Last edited:

GJW

We keep talking about Premiership Clubs but I wonder if there is any interest from outside the UK? Not seen anything reported but no reason why a good European Club couldn’t show an interest. Anyone know of any?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
We keep talking about Premiership Clubs but I wonder if there is any interest from outside the UK? Not seen anything reported but no reason why a good European Club couldn’t show an interest. Anyone know of any?
Dortmund if they lose Sancho

Grecian Max

Not wanting to rake over old wounds but from what I understand Derby were going to pay £3m for Watkins in the January before we sold him. We held on in the hope he would be worth more if he got us promoted (and because we wanted a loan back), promising he could leave in the summer regardless, and then of course it all went wrong at Wembley. Only Brentford were interested in the summer and so he ended up going for £1.8m. Of course the flood of even more TV money since has meant that the sell-on is potentially worth far more than the cash up front we turned down back in Jan 2017.

Incidentally it tells you a lot about Ollie's character that he was in the East Midlands on transfer deadline day, didn't get his move, came back down to Exeter and scored that night off the bench in the win over Wycombe. Seems inevitable at this point that he will play in the Premier League regardless of what happens tonight and that is great exposure for us.

Pretty sure Bristol City were interested at the time but we priced them out, I remember that being in the press up this way