• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder though if the clause has a caveat such as if they get promoted then the clause is null and void..?

Hopefully it doesn’t and Ollie will spark a lot of interest this summer.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
If £18m is accurate, it would be a figure that is ten times higher, than what they paid. That's like Liverpool signing a player for £10m and having a release clause of £100m.
I wish contracts actually worked like that. We could tell Bangladeshi sweat shop workers that by increasing their pay to $10 a day was ten times more than their current salary. It literally is 10 times an average salary - it is still a pittance in a western setting. Contracts need market context. Just applying random multiples to arbitrary numbers and saying that is a sensible estimate is nonsense.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder though if the clause has a caveat such as if they get promoted then the clause is null and void..?

Hopefully it doesn’t and Ollie will spark a lot of interest this summer.
Let’s hope it does and it doesn’t drag on like the Ampadu situation where most of us have probably given up hope of getting anything else. Still at least Ollie isn’t bench warming for some foreign team.
Money soon would be nice , bird in the hand and all that.

Grecian Max

If £18m is accurate, it would be a figure that is ten times higher, than what they paid. That's like Liverpool signing a player for £10m and having a release clause of £100m.
Terrible example, 16m difference v 90m difference, it's all about sensible valuations

Grecian2K

Ollie's bees virtually guaranteed a play off spot after tonight's win.

Hope (for his sake) they manage to go one step further than we did! 😢

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ollie's bees virtually guaranteed a play off spot after tonight's win.

Hope (for his sake) they manage to go one step further than we did! 😢
Beware the curse of the Red and White Stripes.

Boyo

I wish contracts actually worked like that. We could tell Bangladeshi sweat shop workers that by increasing their pay to $10 a day was ten times more than their current salary. It literally is 10 times an average salary - it is still a pittance in a western setting. Contracts need market context. Just applying random multiples to arbitrary numbers and saying that is a sensible estimate is nonsense.
Context is critical. In my flippant example, the context was the difference between Brentford, a small Championship team, and Liverpool, Premiership Champions and one of the richest Clubs in the world. My point is that a multiple of 10 does appear to be a useful yardstick in estimating release clauses. If Watkins does indeed have one and it is £18m then that would be approx 10 times what they paid. Liverpool signed Courtinho for £8.1m and had a release clause of £85m, a factor of approx 10 again. City signed Stockley for £100k and his release clause was £750k, a factor of 7.5.

My point is that a release clause of £18m for Ollie does appear to be within the realms of reality. It's almost exactly 10 times what they paid for him.

IBA

Context is critical. In my flippant example, the context was the difference between Brentford, a small Championship team, and Liverpool, Premiership Champions and one of the richest Clubs in the world. My point is that a multiple of 10 does appear to be a useful yardstick in estimating release clauses. If Watkins does indeed have one and it is £18m then that would be approx 10 times what they paid. Liverpool signed Courtinho for £8.1m and had a release clause of £85m, a factor of approx 10 again. City signed Stockley for £100k and his release clause was £750k, a factor of 7.5.

My point is that a release clause of £18m for Ollie does appear to be within the realms of reality. It's almost exactly 10 times what they paid for him.
How much would we get out of it?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We get 20% of the profit Brentford make. So if Watkins is sold for £18M we get 20% of £16.2M so roughly £3.2M...Not to be sniffed at.

Colesman Ballz

Deduct £1.8m (the original fee they paid us), then it's 20% of the remainder apparently .

Edit, yep what Moomin just said !