• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Birmingham City's 16-year-old English midfielder Jude Bellingham is worth £50M (Sun via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/gossip)

how much is proven goalscorer Ollie Wakins worth?
Exactly what i thought when i read that article

StudentGrecian

If Birmingham City's 16-year-old English midfielder Jude Bellingham is worth £50M (Sun via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/gossip)

how much is proven goalscorer Ollie Wakins worth?
Both are star players in their respective teams, but one is 8 years younger than the other. I can't see Ollie going for more than £25 million, unless he goes up with Brentford and proves himself in the Prem with them.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
On the subject of Bellingham...

How is he valued at £50m as a 16 year old? He can't sign pro, so how?!?

Colesman Ballz

On the subject of Bellingham...

How is he valued at £50m as a 16 year old? He can't sign pro, so how?!?
This figure came from the "Sun" and is frankly absurd. It was previously reported that Birmingham had turned down a Man Utd bid for him of £30M but again this was speculation in the Press and has not been reliably confirmed. He is an outstanding talent and no doubt Manure could afford to take a punt at that level if they think him worth that, and as we repeatedly see these "Super Clubs" seem to circumvent the rules to get hold of these young players. No doubt they have legal teams ceaselessly seeking ways to avoid the rules.

budegrecian

I think we need to treat the valuations of £30m & £50m with a bit of cynicism at the moment & I don't think the comparison between Bellingham & Ollie is realistic; as Student Grecians says 'there is 8 years difference between them.'
The more pertinent comparison, for me, is between Bellingham & Ben Chrisene & whilst I don't expect City to realise an amount similar to the one Birmingham City will likely receive for their player, as & when Ben does leaves, any Bellingham fee can be used as a benchmark, providing, of course, he leaves Birmingham before we lose Ben.

Rosencrantz

I think we need to treat the valuations of £30m & £50m with a bit of cynicism at the moment & I don't think the comparison between Bellingham & Ollie is realistic; as Student Grecians says 'there is 8 years difference between them.'
The more pertinent comparison, for me, is between Bellingham & Ben Chrisene & whilst I don't expect City to realise an amount similar to the one Birmingham City will likely receive for their player, as & when Ben does leaves, any Bellingham fee can be used as a benchmark, providing, of course, he leaves Birmingham before we lose Ben.
The difference is that Bellingham has signed a two year scholarship with Birmingham which means they have his registration. I would imagine a pro contract to sign on his 17th birthday is already on the table.

Ben is still a schoolboy on academy forms and while we can offer him a scholarship to sign in the summer, he can leave in the same way Jay Stansfield or Ethan Ampadu could. Jude Bellingham's value wouldn't be relevant as there is no equivalent situation contract wise.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cracking goal

DB9

Frick me, Ollie had his most quietest games since i reckon our Play Off final against Blackpool and now just scores a stunner!

manc grecian

Fantastic finish that. Another couple of million at least

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
That goal will make some prem clubs sit up and take notes.