• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

BerksBee

Everyone misses some! I believe he has 18 goals from 57 shots this season, which is much more efficient than most strikers, including in the Premiership.
You're right to point out that Watkins is actually pretty efficient in his conversion rate. The point I was making though is that I don't think he's ready yet to make the step up to the next level. Scoring goals in the championship, particularly with us creating a lot of chances is quite different to scoring them in the Premiership/International level with the better quality defenders and far fewer chances that come along. With us, if he misses one, we all know that another chance will be along fairly soon after, but at a higher level there's no guarantee of that happening!

I've doubt whatsoever that Watkins will adapt to and flourish in the Premiership as a goal scorer, hopefully with us, but if not with someone else and when he does he'll come to the attention of the England setup. But he has to prove himself at that higher level first IMO.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our catchment area is relatively small.
The population of Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset is not big, and other clubs scouting come into question regarding Dorset and Somerset. Most of our academy players are very local lads if I'm not mistaken.
However, given the number of players who have been developed at our club and gone on to bigger things or at least given the opportunity to go on to bigger things then surely our academy is a magnet for scouts, including yours.
It's all a question of the food chain, and of course the PL is at the top. Unfortunately when we lose our youngsters we receive a pittance in return. It's true that the takers are buying potential rather than ready-made first- teamers, but nobody forces them to buy, and if clubs think they might be good enough potentially for the top leagues they should pay for that. They take little risk for potentially millions of pounds profit.
The latest case is Jay Stansfield, snapped up by Fulham and scoring goals for fun in their U21 team. The fee is undisclosed but from all accounts it was a little bit more than the rules require, which as I've said is peanuts.
Strange that the clubs who already have rich sugar daddies are allowed to fill their boots by nicking players developed for years at a small club like Exeter. Sooner or later we will have to shut down our academies and the bigger clubs wiil have to work harder, for a change.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caught up with it now.....Ollie came over very relaxed at ease and thoroughly at home on the radio.

GrecianExile

I’m sure I saw Stansfield signed professional forms the other day at Fulham, hopefully that triggers some more money for our coffers?

iscalad

I’m sure I saw Stansfield signed professional forms the other day at Fulham, hopefully that triggers some more money for our coffers?
Umm no it won't

GrecianExile

Umm no it won't
Oh really? That’s a shame for the club then 😞

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doubt it as technically he had already signed "a pro" contract when he first joined Fulham. I suspect we will only get add ons for appearances.

GrecianExile

Doubt it as technically he had already signed "a pro" contract when he first joined Fulham. I suspect we will only get add ons for appearances.
Ok thanks, I wasn’t sure what the nature of the deal was that was agreed

andrew p long

In the club statement of 1 August, it appears that the deal includes ‘add ons and sell ons’.

(NB it is in what is not the most clear sentence ever written, but I think that’s what it means)

the good news is that Jay already has one sub appearance in the FACup, earlier than we could have expected, so we may be on the way to receiving a few more crumbs from the Championship. Like Martin I suspect add ons are appearance related.

iscalad

In the club statement of 1 August, it appears that the deal includes ‘add ons and sell ons’.

(NB it is in what is not the most clear sentence ever written, but I think that’s what it means)

the good news is that Jay already has one sub appearance in the FACup, earlier than we could have expected, so we may be on the way to receiving a few more crumbs from the Championship. Like Martin I suspect add ons are appearance related.
Here