• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old Well St steps entrance.

Andy_H

There was reference to these steps in a recent posting but, as i can't be bothered to search for it, please excuse it having it's own thread.

It's interesting that the doorways are still there and the steps, albeit as a dumping ground for rubble, were still there until the demolition of the OG and construction of the SASS.
1651234053100.jpeg 1651234110156.jpeg

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Known as the Grecian Gate?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wasn't this called "The Grecian Gate" and had a sign to that effect over it ? I know that it has been suggested that it was closed due to the state of the masonry, but iirc another reason was that the steps discharged directly into the road and there was no footpath. An early example on "Elf 'n' safety" rearing it's ugly head ? :unsure:

Andy_H

Somebody mentioned to me the other day that these steps were closed in 1971, post the Ibrox Park disaster as they were deemed to be too steep for safety.

Boyo

Wasn't this called "The Grecian Gate" and had a sign to that effect over it ? I know that it has been suggested that it was closed due to the state of the masonry, but iirc another reason was that the steps discharged directly into the road and there was no footpath. An early example on "Elf 'n' safety" rearing it's ugly head ? :unsure:
I always thought that the reason they weren't used was because the gradient of the steps was too steep.

Does anyone know when it stopped being used?

Andy_H

I always thought that the reason they weren't used was because the gradient of the steps was too steep.

Does anyone know when it stopped being used?
Your question & my answer posted at the same time - spooky!!!

paperclip

This is interesting. In my head, I'm convinced that was the gate that me and my dad went through to get into the FA Cup match against Leicester in 1981 (both the BB and the Cowshed were already full by the time we tried to get into them) and every time I walk past these gates I am reminded of that great night.

The posts about the gate being closed in 1971 however suggest my memory of that night might not actually be correct.

Andy_H

This is interesting. In my head, I'm convinced that was the gate that me and my dad went through to get into the FA Cup match against Leicester in 1981 (both the BB and the Cowshed were already full by the time we tried to get into them) and every time I walk past these gates I am reminded of that great night.

The posts about the gate being closed in 1971 however suggest my memory of that night might not actually be correct.
Having looked at it pre SASS construction, it was very narrow with no place for any form of ticket booth/turnstiles at the bottom, as it goes straight onto the road as mentioned, or at the top because it came straight onto the end terrace, just next to where the old First Aid/Security cabins & emergency generator used to be, which is just a bit further back from where they are today.
I await one of the more knowledgeable Ground Historians confirming or denying these theories.

My memory (which might have been corrupted) was of using those steps for my first couple of visits to sjp November '73 & '74. then getting a transfer into the old grandstand, front few rows.

Thames Valley Red

I used those steps I am sure. remember how steep they were, if it has some space behind, would make a great hip kiosk