• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Complete set of results from the Mexico ‘70 World Cup. The first tournament that I remember watching, though a lot of the group games were on late in the evening way past my bed time on a school night unfortunately.
I remember watching the Brazil v England game because it was a earlier KO & of course the Q/F against West Germany, looking forward to the Semi’s when 2-0 up with 20 mins to play 🤨 The first of many disappointments watching the national team.
Just the 16 teams in the finals in those days of course.

Oldsmobile-88

A bit of 8mm film from Chelsea v Newcastle in April 1972..I was at this game, my uncle drove up. We left Exmouth at 0500 in his Austin A40.
Great memories of the day were jogged when I saw this.

The game was a 3-3 draw, Chelsea were still in there pomp. A decent Newcastle side too at that time.

Oldsmobile-88

Exactly 50 years ago.. The Centenary FA Cup Final.

One- Nil.

Oldsmobile-88

Reminded of Brian Clough with recent events immediately post match in early 1989..😁

Oldsmobile-88

March 1975...West Ham winning at Arsenal in the FA Cup, West Ham’s name was definitely on the cup that season.

Oldsmobile-88

There are a few great interviews about on YouTube with former Nottingham Forest keeper Mark Crossley talking about Brian Clough, he also does a brilliant impersonation of “Old Big ‘Ed “

Rosencrantz

There are a few great interviews about on YouTube with former Nottingham Forest keeper Mark Crossley talking about Brian Clough, he also does a brilliant impersonation of “Old Big ‘Ed “

Watched that last night, really good. Must have been a nightmare playing under Cloughy at times 🙂. Just reading With Clough By Taylor by Peter Taylor first published around 1980 I believe. Very enjoyable so far although I doubt very much they would work under Trust ownership 😉. They needed cash to spend on players.

Available on the iPlayer at the moment is The Lost Final which was aired recently on BBC Scotland. It follows Pat Nevin as he tries to track down any footage of the 1982 European U18 Championship Final which Scotland won and is their only international football trophy win. He also catches up with his old team mates along the way. BBC Scotland have done a few good football documentaries lately including a great tribute to the late Walter Smith. Walter was assistant to Andy Roxburgh leading the Scotland u18's to glory.

I would also recommend Pat Nevin's autobiography, The Accidental Footballer. He was never the stereotypical footballer in his day and it's very readable and funny. I was lucky enough to be at Goodison and right in line with the Gwladys Street penalty area the day Pat scooped Jim Leighton to make in 3-0 against Man Utd. Always one of my favourite players growing up even when he was at Chelsea.

Oldsmobile-88

Watched that last night, really good. Must have been a nightmare playing under Cloughy at times 🙂. Just reading With Clough By Taylor by Peter Taylor first published around 1980 I believe. Very enjoyable so far although I doubt very much they would work under Trust ownership 😉. They needed cash to spend on players.

Available on the iPlayer at the moment is The Lost Final which was aired recently on BBC Scotland. It follows Pat Nevin as he tries to track down any footage of the 1982 European U18 Championship Final which Scotland won and is their only international football trophy win. He also catches up with his old team mates along the way. BBC Scotland have done a few good football documentaries lately including a great tribute to the late Walter Smith. Walter was assistant to Andy Roxburgh leading the Scotland u18's to glory.

I would also recommend Pat Nevin's autobiography, The Accidental Footballer. He was never the stereotypical footballer in his day and it's very readable and funny. I was lucky enough to be at Goodison and right in line with the Gwladys Street penalty area the day Pat scooped Jim Leighton to make in 3-0 against Man Utd. Always one of my favourite players growing up even when he was at Chelsea.
Peter Taylor appears to be as much a character as Clough, It must have been quite a experience for any player under that management duo.
Loved the story when a player asked why they trained at Scarborough on the beach on regular occasions ? The answer was Taylor had a holiday flat in the town, if he had any furniture to deliver it went on the coach, with the players loading/ unloading it. 😁

Oldsmobile-88

Love the reaction of Peter Houseman(11) then sees the ref has signalled a goal 😁

Oldsmobile-88