• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
15th June 1974.

I remember watching this game on TV.With England shockingly failing to qualify for the 1974 World Cup.Their was huge interest in the Scottish participation in West Germany.
They had a very good team made up mostly from top flight teams in Division One of the Football League.
The Scots payed a high price ultimately for taking their foot off the gas in the 2nd half against a hapless Zaire team.
Zaire lost 9-0 to Yugoslavia in their next game.
Scotland were knocked out of the group stages by goal difference(one goal)
A poor by their historical standard Brazil progressed instead.

Red Devon

Saw a bit of the 1973 FA Cup final between Leeds and Sunderland yesterday what a day that was. I think it may have been my first live tv match.

Oldsmobile-88

Saw a bit of the 1973 FA Cup final between Leeds and Sunderland yesterday what a day that was. I think it may have been my first live tv match.
A huge shock that result.Leeds at their full pomp in those days.Sunderland a mediocre Division Two team.

Ian Porterfield.Lorimers shot & Montgomery’s fantastic save.
Don Revie in his blue suit.Bob Stokoe in his tracksuit.

Red Devon

A huge shock that result.Leeds at their full pomp in those days.Sunderland a mediocre Division Two team.

Ian Porterfield.Lorimers shot & Montgomery’s fantastic save.
Don Revie in his blue suit.Bob Stokoe in his tracksuit.
All iconic images imprinted on the mind

Oldsmobile-88

22nd June 1986...35 years ago.

Just thinking back,I don’t recall people watching games in pubs in those days.Most would not have had a TV in the public bar or lounge.

Colesman Ballz

Just thinking back,I don’t recall people watching games in pubs in those days.Most would not have had a TV in the public bar or lounge.
Even after the passage 35 years, you have just spoilt my day Olds by posting that clip of the cheating count ! :mad:

Oldsmobile-88

Even after the passage 35 years, you have just spoilt my day Olds by posting that clip of the cheating count ! :mad:
I know the feeling CB.
Just to raise your BP a bit higher,the linesman saw the punch but the protocol in those days was that he could not consult the referee if the ref had awarded the goal.

The linesman was quoted as saying recently that the ref should have stuck to keeping goats in Tunisia.😁

iscalad

\saw the 1970s cup final. Yes that one. in the Tally Ho as they had a colour tv installed.

fred binneys head

I blame Shilton.

Alistair20000

I blame Shilton.
Nah. VAR should have chalked it off.