• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Before the days of Sky TVs monopoly of English footballs top division,ITV broadcasted this League title decider on Friday 26th May 1989.
The original date for the game was a month before.
It was postponed in the aftermath of Hillsborough.

haka

Thanks to improved technology and (sensible) concern for safety, ice rink football is no longer a feature of the professional game. So here's a glimpse of what it used to be like, when players skidded and skated around the pitch in the FA Cup ...

Spoonz Red E

Thanks to improved technology and (sensible) concern for safety, ice rink football is no longer a feature of the professional game. So here's a glimpse of what it used to be like, when players skidded and skated around the pitch in the FA Cup ...

And all the players wearing v-neck, short sleeve tops ......

Oldsmobile-88

Colesman Ballz

You may have a reception committee waiting for you at the border, on your next trip up north, after posting that ! :cool:

Alistair20000

I was delighted to see the Sweaties removed at the Group stage in 1978.

Ali Macleod seemed to think they only had to turn up to win the WC and kept telling the world.

To55er

iscalad

We're on the march with Allys Army🙄🙄🙄

Oldsmobile-88

I was delighted to see the Sweaties removed at the Group stage in 1978.

Ali Macleod seemed to think they only had to turn up to win the WC and kept telling the world.

To55er
To be fair to him a few comments were taken out of context.
Macleod was particularly annoyed about the farcical send off fanfare for the team knowing that it was setting the team & himself up for a huge fall.
The SFA had a lot to answer for over that.

haka

I thought the Peru/Iran games were hilarious (being a snotty schoolkid at the time). Scotland fans chanting "We'll support you ever more" and an hour later "We want our money back"! But then I'd never really seen England at a World Cup, so little did I know what treats lay ahead ...

The next game v the Dutch with the Gemmill goal was a cracker, mind.

Oldsmobile-88

41 years ago today (Jun 12, 1980):

England drew 1-1 with Belgium at Europa 80 in Turin. Ray Wilkins opened the scoring superbly for England, Jan Ceulemans equalised almost immediately,and then violence erupted on the terraces.The police fired tear gas to restore order but those most affected by this intervention were the players.The match was suspended temporarily to allow the tear gas to clear.The game fizzled out into a draw.
A couple of my work colleagues went to the tournament.It was not very pleasant before & after the games England were involved apparently.