• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There were some gems from Brian Clough,goodness knows what he would make of the media guidance in the PL these days.

“I’m not the manager to be popular with the board or the players.If they wanted someone to be popular perhaps they should have got Bruce Forsyth into manage the club”

Oldsmobile-88

When Brian Clough was appointed Leeds manager I don’t recall a bigger shock or incredulity in my time of watching football.
The full interview of Clough & Revie on Yorkshire TV with Austin Mitchell following Cloughs dismissal is pure gold.Two men who despised each other but each had that very rare quality to be a winner in football management.
What days they were..

grecIAN Harris

When Brian Clough was appointed Leeds manager I don’t recall a bigger shock or incredulity in my time of watching football.
The full interview of Clough & Revie on Yorkshire TV with Austin Mitchell following Cloughs dismissal is pure gold.Two men who despised each other but each had that very rare quality to be a winner in football management.
What days they were..
Prior to Cloughie going to Leeds, Don Revie was his managing hero or that certainly the impression left when you watch 'The Damned United'.

Oldsmobile-88

Prior to Cloughie going to Leeds, Don Revie was his managing hero or that certainly the impression left when you watch 'The Damned United'.
Yes...Although the film is allegedly not accurate on many scenarios,there was a falling out in the late 1960s.

Leeds v Derby in the early 1970s was the real needle match in the First Division.The respective managers wanted to win that one probably more than any other league game.The teams were always up for that battle because they knew how much it meant to their respective managers.
Furguson v Wenger was a playground spat,compared to the Clough & Revie fallout.
Derby were a great team in those days.When Clough had the falling out with Derby Chairman Sam Longson & Left it was a huge story.It was the main news item on national TV for days such was interest.
People wondered what Cloughie was up to more than worrying about the Miners strike & power cuts in the country.

Oldsmobile-88

The Scots invade the Wembley pitch.Fences were up later that year(1977)

Oldsmobile-88

Wales v Scotland October 1977.WC qualifier for Argentina ‘78.
Wales were top of the group on goal difference & just needed a draw to qualify.
Ninian Park was due to host the game but a drastic reduction in its capacity due to a late safety assessment forced the FAW’s hand to seek pastures beyond Wales for the game, with the smaller Racecourse Ground in Wrexham, traditionally a successful venue for Wales, overlooked. Wembley was considered but in a shameful display of short-sightedness fuelled by parlous finances the FAW opted to take the game to Anfield. Wales manager Mike Smith gamely suggested Welsh fans would “make themselves heard” but it was clear running up to the game that although a bumper crowd was expected, sadly, for Wales, it was largely Scottish. 51,000 people, in which it is said Scots outnumbered Welsh by 5 to 1, descended on Liverpool for a game in which a Scottish win guaranteed qualification for Argentina ’78.
Scotland got the breakthrough with a penalty after their own forward,Joe Jordan handled !!!

Oldsmobile-88

The days when Wales played at The Racecourse Ground Wrexham.
The ground is the oldest in the world still in use that has held internationals,over 90 since 1877.
Strict UEFA guide lines around Stadia used for qualifying games has meant The Racecourse Ground is not used for Euros or WC qualifiers.
Recently a low key friendly was held there against Trinidad & Tobago.
It is mooted that the old Kop which has been unused since around 2007 is going to be made all seater in a redevelopment of that end.When that happens perhaps the Internationals will return to the famous old ground which was one of my favourites to visit many years ago.

Oldsmobile-88

47 years ago today (May 1, 1974), the dullards at the Football Association announced that they had sacked Sir Alf Ramsey twelve days earlier on April 19. Even by the FA's standards, this was a shabby way to treat the man who led England to success in the 1966 World Cup.
D8902E40-3537-421F-8F45-CFC297613BB8.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

I remember this day 49 years ago.
Leeds just needed a point for the League Championship on goal average.
I was anxiously waiting for the results on the BBC TV News.
The Sports Editor just to hang out the suspense said...The new FL Champions are....Derby County.
I couldn’t believe it,Derby were not even playing,everyone expected Leeds or Liverpool who were also playing that night(needing a win but could only draw)to be announced as League Champions.
Brian Clough was famously in Majorca on holiday when Derby were crowned League Champions.

Oldsmobile-88