• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Offrande Zanzala

Squeezebox

Oz isn't 26 until November. I have a feeling our coaches have seen something in him they can work on. He's energetic and enthusiastic. Not a cultured player I agree but my money is on him coming to us as "a work in progress".
Agree with Pete on this one!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oz isn't 26 until November. I have a feeling our coaches have seen something in him they can work on. He's energetic and enthusiastic. Not a cultured player I agree but my money is on him coming to us as "a work in progress".
For me it’s a case of how much the club think coaching will improve some of the weaker parts of his game. Oz is never going to be a natural finisher like a Stockley or a Nombe. However, if he could just add a little more threat in the box to his other strengths than you potentially have a pretty decent player.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think he gives us a physical presence, but if we bring one of our marquee players that has that presence he won't be needed, if we bring in a different type of striker than he may be. Horses for courses, but first we need to see who our marquee striker is, because we clearly need one to play with, or without him if he's injured.

So doubt we'll rush into sign him until we know.
OZ has just made himself unemployed by cancelling his contract at Barrow. He's daft to do that unless he's got something definite lined up somewhere.

jimmy

OZ has just made himself unemployed by cancelling his contract at Barrow. He's daft to do that unless he's got something definite lined up somewhere.
You're right. First signing announced Monday then.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
His fitness level was really poor so who knows what he could be like at full tilt..

His fitness level was really poor so who knows what he could be like at full tilt..
He did have knee surgery after just 2 games and then was back playing in a matter of weeks, so I'd imagine he was playing while trying to get fully fit.

Rosencrantz

We were always going to be in the market for the two strikers this summer. You want one to be an increase in quality and they do not come cheap. That being the case, it would be ridiculous if that signing was a Nombe clone. You want him to be a different profile otherwise you would be unlikely to see both on the pitch at the same time.

With Nombe and the new quality, but different, striker we also need someone as cover for Nombe as we do not have that within the squad. With our budget we can not afford that vacancy to be top dollar so someone like Oz, if he does sign, is a decent fit. Oz's hold up play was really decent towards the end of the season. If we can get him to remember the ball rather than fighting the defender which he tends to at times all the better.

He isn't going to be prolific, if he was, he wouldn't be being viewed as back up to Nombe. He will get a few though and not upset the dressing room.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have a feeling he'll end up signing for us.
I'm not sure if I want him to or not.

His attitude is first class, his ability and fitness isn't. His fitness levels can be sorted out but whether our coaches can improve his game enough to be of a standard required for L1 remains to be seen. My thoughts are probably not.

He does offer a proper physical presence which is always a good option to have. It wouldn't be the worst signing, but I'm probably sitting in the no thankyou camp.

AndyR

My guess (and hope) is that we will be signing Ozzie very shortly, even assuming this hasn't been tied up already.

I think he did a really good job for us, a "handful" as MT accurately described him, and as we are now down 4 strikers on what we had at the end of last season (the 3 loanees Ozzie, Podge and Kieran Phillips plus Ben Seymour), I'd be happy for Oz to be the first addition.

Banksy

Yes , he sounds good as a second choice striker to stand in for Sam where needed.I bow to the opinions of everyone here who is able to attend matches on a regular basis and has seen a lot of him. I guess he’s a good team player and would be good for the dressing room and team spirit? That’s always worth having .If we can then sign a really experienced League One forward to provide a plan B that would really be the icing on the cake and the forwards would be sorted with Sonny in reserve.