• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Offrande Zanzala

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see Oz as a potential 3rd/4th choice striker. Second choice striker would ideally be a new signing of Nombe-esque quality. When everyone was fit striker 1 would start and striker 2 come on as a sub. Striker 3 (such as Oz) only gets game time when one of strikers 1 and 2 are unavailable (through injury, suspension or need to rotate).

I don't see Philips coming back to SJP on loan again next season. He needs to play (a lot) and this season has shown he won't get the game time here that he needs for his best career development

Bridgy 81

I see Oz as a potential 3rd/4th choice striker. Second choice striker would ideally be a new signing of Nombe-esque quality. When everyone was fit striker 1 would start and striker 2 come on as a sub. Striker 3 (such as Oz) only gets game time when one of strikers 1 and 2 are unavailable (through injury, suspension or need to rotate).

I don't see Philips coming back to SJP on loan again next season. He needs to play (a lot) and this season has shown he won't get the game time here that he needs for his best career development
This is something similar to my thinking.
I reckon we need 4 centre forwards in total including Sam but not including Jay, Brown or Coley.
I imagine Sonny will be loaned out again. Perhaps, Taunton in Conference South for 6 months and maybe then Torquay or Yeovil for the next 6 months if that goes well.
Of the 3 new strikers I’d look to sign 2 permanently and one on loan for 6 months to begin with (the latter to leave space for Sonny to join the squad if he progresses exceptionally quickly).
Like you I’d like to sign another striker of Sam’s pedigree, as first reserve or to challenge Sam for his place, but on a 2 rather than 3 year contract though.
I’d then take Oz from Barrow as a useful back up, if/as/when required, for the remaining year of his contract, provided his wage isn’t excessive (or if it is he’s willing to reduce it a bit for the chance to play some League One football).
I wouldn’t pay a fee for him though. That money will be needed for the other 2 signings.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Don’t mind him but don’t think he’ll be staying next season, we can get better quality now we’re in league one.
Sure. If we pay through the nose for it.

The way KMT has worked is to utilise the entire squad rather than concentrating on one or two "star players" and it has largely worked. Contrast with FGR, where they lost their "star striker" and immediately began to implode. I am in the "keep Oz" camp and, as has already been said, I'll trust in Matt's judgement and, if he signs Oz, I will be happy.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
This is something similar to my thinking.
I reckon we need 4 centre forwards in total including Sam but not including Jay, Brown or Coley.
I imagine Sonny will be loaned out again. Perhaps, Taunton in Conference South for 6 months and maybe then Torquay or Yeovil for the next 6 months if that goes well.
Of the 3 new strikers I’d look to sign 2 permanently and one on loan for 6 months to begin with (the latter to leave space for Sonny to join the squad if he progresses exceptionally quickly).
Like you I’d like to sign another striker of Sam’s pedigree, as first reserve or to challenge Sam for his place, but on a 2 rather than 3 year contract though.
I’d then take Oz from Barrow as a useful back up, if/as/when required, for the remaining year of his contract, provided his wage isn’t excessive (or if it is he’s willing to reduce it a bit for the chance to play some League One football).
I wouldn’t pay a fee for him though. That money will be needed for the other 2 signings.
Unless we sell a player, I don't think we will be in the market to pay transfer fees for players. There should be some very good players out of contract this summer though and I would expect this is where MT is focusing his recruitment.

AndyR

In King Matt's words, Oz is a "handful" and I think that is a good description of him. He is strong, holds the ball and links up play with Brown & Co really well. Where he lacks is perhaps the ability to score the type of goal that Phillips got on Tuesday, but overall I'm staggered that Barrow loaned him to us. I'd be happy if MT decides to keep him.

The other thing to consider when assessing striker options is that Nombe has suffered hamstring injuries and that will require careful management. With Nombe out, Zanzala was (justifiably) first choice.

Timps58

He seems popular and enthusiastic. In my view I see some potential there
I wouldn't pay for him, but see sense if not too expensive to keep him as a backup striker.
I wonder as well how much he was deliberately being played for 60 or so minutes. Give it his all but knowing he would be subbed

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
He seems popular and enthusiastic. In my view I see some potential there
I wouldn't pay for him, but see sense if not too expensive to keep him as a backup striker.
I wonder as well how much he was deliberately being played for 60 or so minutes. Give it his all but knowing he would be subbed
Has anyone mentioned that Ozzie has had a knee op in his time at SJP and played on !
That deserves at least another chance as a Grecian.

geoffwp

I think also we need to think on MT's words when he said just because we are promoted to L1 doesnt mean we are going to have an even bigger budget to spend on players. There are going to be clubs whose spending power is going make ours look like pocket money. I'm more than happy to trust MT's judgements which, imo, have been very good so far.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I think also we need to think on MT's words when he said just because we are promoted to L1 doesnt mean we are going to have an even bigger budget to spend on players. There are going to be clubs whose spending power is going make ours look like pocket money. I'm more than happy to trust MT's judgements which, imo, have been very good so far.
Exactly so. We have come out ahead of a few big spenders in L2 this season. It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you've got. Like you I trust MT's judgement.

grecIAN Harris

Ozzie needs to get more consistency about him. If his two best games are anything to go by (ironically both games he has scored in) then there is potential in him. Rochdale couldn't deal with him because every ball that came at him stuck regardless of where it was coming from and at whatever angle. But then you get games where nothing sticks and he's fighting a losing battle with the ref as much as anybody else which then effects the rest of his game.