• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Offers for the club - would this ever filter down to members?

I've often wondered why in football (and other professional sports) does private investment need to entail ownership or part ownership. In the arts, museums, charitable and university sectors a lot of funding comes from gifts and legacies. Many of these donations play to wealthy people's vanity, but it brings in big amounts of money and it doesn't require a shift in owner.

I guess we already do a bit of this with commercial sponsorship, but why not individuals?

Does the club have a simple offer encouraging people to leave a legacy to the club in their Wills? It would be a simple place to start. Most people if they chose to leave something would give just a few quid, but wealthy donors are out there. Often the biggest obstacle to accessing this kind of resource is an initial ask.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Should there be someone with enough money to buy the club lock stock and barrel wouldnt that person/company want a large amount of advertising space maybe even naming rights like Newcastle's ground name was changed ?

There have been numerous local companies that have helped ECFC over the years and wouldnt they also have to be consulted as to why their adverts would possibly be taken down and replaced with a multi national.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently Jim is going for the wrong reds !

Fareham Grecian

He’s going for the right reds as far as ECFC is concerned. I wouldn’t want someone like that within a million miles of us.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
after previously unsuccessfully going for the Blues. Successive chases for Chelski and Man Utd speak volumes about his motives. (ie want a big money famous football club, not so bothered who it is)

i8cornwall

I'd always assumed reading these boards it was;

Trust Ownership: Good

Everything else: Bad

In all seriousness though i assume we haven't had any offers is because mostly new ownership of a club is either when the previous owner can no longer keep Ownership of said club e.g Bolton, Gillingham, Wigan for what ever reason or a richer owner is found e.g probably Manchester United before long.

sidney

I've often wondered why in football (and other professional sports) does private investment need to entail ownership or part ownership. In the arts, museums, charitable and university sectors a lot of funding comes from gifts and legacies. Many of these donations play to wealthy people's vanity, but it brings in big amounts of money and it doesn't require a shift in owner.

I guess we already do a bit of this with commercial sponsorship, but why not individuals?

Does the club have a simple offer encouraging people to leave a legacy to the club in their Wills? It would be a simple place to start. Most people if they chose to leave something would give just a few quid, but wealthy donors are out there. Often the biggest obstacle to accessing this kind of resource is an initial ask.
I have thought this as well. And my compliments to all those who have contributed to an interesting discussion.

It has occurred to me that a wealthy investor might be attracted to our unique and highly successful model. Is it possible that a hugely wealthy football fan might just like the idea of helping a community fan-owned club like ECFC to climb the league pyramid? And might they like the idea of funding a club that didn't time waste, or dive? And connected at the most meaningful level with the community they represent? Is there a Chris Martin who would just like to
invest in a medium to long term project to take a 'minnow' with values and integrity to take on the Premier League big boys and occasionally defeat them?
Someone who wanted to develop a new and sustainable model. Who respected the fan ownership ideal, and was selflessly not in it for personal vanity. Someone who broke a discredited mould.

I'm not sure every single potential investor is necessarily obsessed with a return on profits, asset-stripping, or raising their media profile. Maybe there are just one or two who would love to be involved in something intrinsically worthwhile. Do not underestimate the uniqueness of our club, and how it can appeal to investors. I think many diehard supporters of other clubs have a soft spot for us.

My contact details are available to Chris M if he is interested...

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have thought this as well. And my compliments to all those who have contributed to an interesting discussion.

It has occurred to me that a wealthy investor might be attracted to our unique and highly successful model. Is it possible that a hugely wealthy football fan might just like the idea of helping a community fan-owned club like ECFC to climb the league pyramid? And might they like the idea of funding a club that didn't time waste, or dive? And connected at the most meaningful level with the community they represent? Is there a Chris Martin who would just like to
invest in a medium to long term project to take a 'minnow' with values and integrity to take on the Premier League big boys and occasionally defeat them?
Someone who wanted to develop a new and sustainable model. Who respected the fan ownership ideal, and was selflessly not in it for personal vanity. Someone who broke a discredited mould.

I'm not sure every single potential investor is necessarily obsessed with a return on profits, asset-stripping, or raising their media profile. Maybe there are just one or two who would love to be involved in something intrinsically worthwhile. Do not underestimate the uniqueness of our club, and how it can appeal to investors. I think many diehard supporters of other clubs have a soft spot for us.

My contact details are available to Chris M if he is interested...
Some Grecian must know Chris Martin well - after all he was apparently begat after a Grecian win at home !
I may have played cricket at Countess Wear but don't tell him I can't remember him !
UTC

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some Grecian must know Chris Martin well - after all he was apparently begat after a Grecian win at home !
I may have played cricket at Countess Wear but don't tell him I can't remember him !
UTC
When did you play at Countess Wear ? (as I did all my life so played with Chris many times)

Red Bill

Should there be someone with enough money to buy the club lock stock and barrel wouldnt that person/company want a large amount of advertising space maybe even naming rights like Newcastle's ground name was changed ?

There have been numerous local companies that have helped ECFC over the years and wouldnt they also have to be consulted as to why their adverts would possibly be taken down and replaced with a multi national.
The club as a registered limited company is a legal entity of its own right and would remain the same legal entity regardless of any change of ownership. It would therefore be obliged to continue to honour any ongoing contracts or formal agreements made in respect of advertising space. A new owner wouldn't make any difference in this respect.