• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A forgotten team in those results, New Brighton who played at Wallasey on the Wirral, Merseyside.

I was in the area last year trying to find where the Tower Ground was situated(their last ground in the FL) Not a trace remains.Its now a landscaped Park.

The club went out of business in 1983..Since reformed.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting that we had a bigger crowd at home to Bristol Rovers on Good Friday than they did in the reverse fixture on Easter Monday.

I guess the attendances were still enjoying the post war uplift. 71,008 at Goodison on Good Friday way ahead of anywhere else but dropped to 46,828 the very next day. I guess the reason though will be who they are playing and not the team either. Stanley Matthews would have been due to play for Blackpool on Good Friday. Another big name player drawing massive crowds can be seen at Notts Co. I am sure 46,906 mainly turned up to see Tommy Lawton rather than Torquay 🙂. Star pulling power is not a modern phenomenon.
According to my father, Blackpool were the biggest draw in the country in the Stanley Matthews era.

It was big news for a Third Division club to sign Tommy Lawton. I remember being told that Notts Co played down here soon after he joined them, and that the locals, who'd turned up in force to see him, weren't too happy when they were told he wasn't playing!

Oldsmobile-88

It was big news for a Third Division club to sign Tommy Lawton. I remember being told that Notts Co played down here soon after he joined them, and that the locals, who'd turned up in force to see him, weren't too happy when they were told he wasn't playing!
My dads first game at SJP..He mentioned that Tommy Lawton did not play & there were a few disgruntled people in SJP.

I haven’t got my ‘bible’ at hand. I think the attendance was around 16,000

Oldsmobile-88

Football League results from 15th September 1979.
The Grecians 5-0 down at HT. I think Steve Neville got the consolation in the 2nd half.

Ian Rush on target for Chester.

Stockport & Tranmere playing on the Friday evening which was the norm for both teams for many years.

Bristol City’s last season in Division One ending a 4 year run.They would hit the bottom of Division Four just over 3 years later.

E6F46DC7-F81B-40C7-93B7-4F8A8610B17A.jpeg7A809D32-B14D-41B9-814F-0B7607C2BF1F.png

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Somebody familiar scoring for Blackpool!

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Somebody familiar scoring for Blackpool!
Stan McEwan ? ;)

Alistair20000

I see Julian Tagg was playing for Millwall against us.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see Julian Tagg was playing for Millwall against us.
The original Grecian the Lion?

Oldsmobile-88

7D6B7A40-C1F1-4804-84BB-22B98AA8322C.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

29th April 1972.

Not many games in Division One, due to a European Nations Cup(Euro’s) Q/F first leg game at Wembley against West Germany the next day. Quite unusual for the Football League under Alan Hardakers helm to be helpful to the FA & England team in those days.

The game ended in a 1-3 defeat, the first time a German National team had won on English soil.
The 2nd leg two weeks later in the Olympic Stadium West Berlin ended 0-0

3EF3ED18-8A56-40C6-8BC8-F504F6ADF071.jpeg