• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Top 100 goal scorers with their present clubs at the start of the 1979/80 season.
I knew Fred Binney had a great strike record.What great company he kept.
Those names were recognisable to all of us who remember that era & studied the results in the Sunday papers.

View attachment 7147
And the "one who got away", Dixie McNeil in 4th place, with more goals and almost as good an average !

david61

Top 100 goal scorers with their present clubs at the start of the 1979/80 season.
Those names were recognisable to all of us who remember that era & studied the results in the Sunday papers.

View attachment 7147
[/QUOTE
Saw his debut/goal, Exeter 4 Bradford 2, Feb 1969...

david61

Saw his debut/goal, Exeter 4 Bradford 2, Feb 1969.

Oldsmobile-88

3rd October 1981.
That was a cracking game at SJP from what I remember..5-1 up after a hour before Millwall nearly pulled off a unlikely draw.
Mike Lester with a hat trick,Kellow & Peter Rogers scored the other goals in front of 7,169.A crowd boosted by the guarantee of a ticket for the upcoming League Cup game against Liverpool.
A crowd of around 3,500 would have been expected without the incentive.

923C30FA-0516-4915-B93B-DC31CC32E11D.jpeg

budegrecian

View attachment 7147
& Keith Bowker in there at 85, just above Stan Bowles.... I actually played against KB once, when he was player manager of Bideford.

StroudGrecian

3rd October 1981.
That was a cracking game at SJP from what I remember..5-1 up after a hour before Millwall nearly pulled off a unlikely draw.
Mike Lester with a hat trick,Kellow & Peter Rogers scored the other goals in front of 7,169.A crowd boosted by the guarantee of a ticket for the upcoming League Cup game against Liverpool.
A crowd of around 3,500 would have been expected without the incentive.

View attachment 7160
I was in the cowshed, and mostly remember this game for the trouble, both at the final whistle (when the cowshed inadvisedly chanted 'Come on Millwall', and then largely scarpered when Millwall did, across the pitch), and then fisticuffs up and down Sidwell Street afterwards. Ugly scenes.

Grecian 1901

We have had a request on the Grecian archive!

“Im currently finishing the final edit of my book about Sheffield United. on 21/ 3/ 1981, the Blades drew 1-1 with Exeter at your ground. Steve Charles scored for United, but could you tell me who scored for the home side please? if you could tell me who scored first - you or United, that would be superb.”

Tony Kellow scored for us but I do not know who scored first? Can anyone help?

Oldsmobile-88

We have had a request on the Grecian archive!

“Im currently finishing the final edit of my book about Sheffield United. on 21/ 3/ 1981, the Blades drew 1-1 with Exeter at your ground. Steve Charles scored for United, but could you tell me who scored for the home side please? if you could tell me who scored first - you or United, that would be superb.”

Tony Kellow scored for us but I do not know who scored first? Can anyone help?
If the Devon Record Office is open without restrictions I will look up the E & E report of the game from the microfilm of that month,on Tuesday.

I’ve not visited since they were shut during the pandemic,hopefully the protocol for visits are as they were.(show my registration card & sign in)

eurogrecian

I was in the cowshed, and mostly remember this game for the trouble, both at the final whistle (when the cowshed inadvisedly chanted 'Come on Millwall', and then largely scarpered when Millwall did, across the pitch), and then fisticuffs up and down Sidwell Street afterwards. Ugly scenes.
'The Treatment' caught up with me in a shop doorway in Sidwell St. Several were wearing surgical masks - COVID-aware even in those days!

Oldsmobile-88

Posted a photo on my Twitter feed from 1973 of the time i & my friends were stood on the St James Rd end(it was in the following game programme)
After posting I was thinking no one in those days really called it by its official name,rather using the moniker The Little End...Anyone else refer to that part of the ground by that uninspired name 😎