• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nicky Law(Snr) scoring at Maine Rd.

iscalad

How ever did we cope on crowds like that??

Oldsmobile-88

How ever did we cope on crowds like that??
Footballers salaries were comparatively lower than they are today.Especially in the bottom two tiers of the FL/EFL

Also in those days TV money was next to nothing compared to the last two decades which makes it even more remarkable.

Rosencrantz

Clive Whitehead on target for Portsmouth.

fred binneys head

That was the day wolves played at Scarborough and that lad fell through the roof, I think.

Colesman Ballz

I vaguely recall tv footage of a parachutist due to land on the pitch as part of the entertainment, missing the target and left hanging from a stand roof. Possibly at Villa Park or another Midlands venue ??

wiveygrecian

Opening day of the 1987/88 season.15th August.
A good start with a rare home win against Cambridge Utd.The first at SJP against them in 15 years.
Roy Carter scoring a couple of goals on his debut.Carter had a good career at Hereford,Swindon & Newport previously.
He started at Falmouth Town & played in that team with Tony Kellow until he transferred to Hereford in 1975.Helping them gain promotion to the 2nd Division in 75/76.
View attachment 5513
Yes Carter was an ok player but if I remember correctly he got those 2 goals on debut and didn’t score the rest of the season for us! Also Scarborough’s first game in league football . Played Wolves who took 1000’s and one of their fans fell badly through a stand roof while stood on top of it !!

wiveygrecian

Yes Carter was an ok player but if I remember correctly he got those 2 goals on debut and didn’t score the rest of the season for us! Also Scarborough’s first game in league football . Played Wolves who took 1000’s and one of their fans fell badly through a stand roof while stood on top of https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/when-hooligans-turned-fairytale-nightmare-scarborough-1771507

Red Devon

Opening day of the 1987/88 season.15th August.
A good start with a rare home win against Cambridge Utd.The first at SJP against them in 15 years.
Roy Carter scoring a couple of goals on his debut.Carter had a good career at Hereford,Swindon & Newport previously.
He started at Falmouth Town & played in that team with Tony Kellow until he transferred to Hereford in 1975.Helping them gain promotion to the 2nd Division in 75/76.
View attachment 5513
I think the following Saturday at Swansea we finally got that long awaited away win!...it had been a long, long, long time coming.

grecIAN Harris

I think the following Saturday at Swansea we finally got that long awaited away win!...it had been a long, long, long time coming.
I think we won 2-0 at Swansea and got off to a generally decent start that season but fell away badly after Christmas.