• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought we were going to win. And it would have been exactly what those Wolves fans deserved.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thought we were going to win. And it would have been exactly what those Wolves fans deserved.
Plod should have conviscated their DM's and made them walk all the way home to Wolverhampton too ! 🤬

Oldsmobile-88

After mentioning Northwich Victoria in another thread,it got me thinking of visits to Northwich during the Grecians time in the Conference.

The 1st visit was in March 2004 at Mincham Park the home of Whitton Albion who Northwich ground shared with.1-1 infront of a crowd of 547 which beat the previous low attendance for a Grecian fixture(At Workington 693 in Dec 1973)That was then beaten the next season with 451 at Hylton Park,Leigh.

The Grecians last visit to Northwich in Oct 2007 was in doubt because the home club were about to go ‘bust’ despite moving into a spanking new stadium only 2 years before(They survived for a few more years at the ground,that has now been flattened)B0E2F34A-225A-43BE-9523-44CE3758F24D.jpeg95933860-62C6-4819-B99A-C4ED71CCE57A.jpeg
There was no programme issued because of the uncertainty,just a team sheet issued to keep collectors like me happy on the day.

Colesman Ballz

On our first Conference visit to Northwich, one of our then directors was staggered to find their Director's Box was "Men Only" ! With attitudes like that steming from the top of the Club, little wonder they were struggling to survive.

Oldsmobile-88

On our first Conference visit to Northwich, one of our then directors was staggered to find their Director's Box was "Men Only" ! With attitudes like that steming from the top of the Club, little wonder they were struggling to survive.
Did you fly up with Ian Huxham & Dr Dave,CB for that game ?
I seem to recall a handful of fans went via Manchester airport to Northwich.

Colesman Ballz

Did you fly up with Ian Huxham & Dr Dave,CB for that game ?
I seem to recall a handful of fans went via Manchester airport to Northwich.
No I wasn't at that match, and am not sure how my mate got there either. Have never flown to an away game, leastways yet !

Oldsmobile-88

Boards to signify what player to come off & be replaced by the substitute were first used in the 1974/75 season.
John Neale is the player coming on at Lincoln City in August 1974.
Trainer Jack Edwards is holding the number.
8D4B438B-BF0B-436F-8335-77F2C427A1F7.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

The first visit of Huddersfield Town in March 1976 was memorable for the performance on the pitch(won 4-1) & the few coach loads of Terriers fans who made the trip(unusual to have decent numbers from northern teams then)
The Huddersfield fan in the picture was flattened infront of me at the bus/coach station(any away coachs were parked there in those days)after the game after being chased with others for nicking a load of booze from Safeway & scrapping in Sidwell St.
995ABCD8-782E-406B-9B12-7D2CBDD05F75.jpeg

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
After mentioning Northwich Victoria in another thread,it got me thinking of visits to Northwich during the Grecians time in the Conference.

The 1st visit was in March 2004 at Mincham Park the home of Whitton Albion who Northwich ground shared with.1-1 infront of a crowd of 547 which beat the previous low attendance for a Grecian fixture(At Workington 693 in Dec 1973)That was then beaten the next season with 451 at Hylton Park,Leigh.

The Grecians last visit to Northwich in Oct 2007 was in doubt because the home club were about to go ‘bust’ despite moving into a spanking new stadium only 2 years before(They survived for a few more years at the ground,that has now been flattened)View attachment 2574View attachment 2575
There was no programme issued because of the uncertainty,just a team sheet issued to keep collectors like me happy on the day.
I think Hiley scored a screamer in the first game and I can't think of that day without remembering our amazing fans and the bucket collection outside the away end at the finish.

Oldsmobile-88

I think Hiley scored a screamer in the first game and I can't think of that day without remembering our amazing fans and the bucket collection outside the away end at the finish.
That was the next game there in Sept 2004..

Iirc Sean Devine scored on the first visit.