• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was there a limit on the number of replays? FA Cup final replays always felt like a real anti climax.

Oldsmobile-88

Was there a limit on the number of replays? FA Cup final replays always felt like a real anti climax.
Not then..Though final replays were rare.The one in 1970 was the first in 50 years.

Incidentally the 2nd FA Cup replay pencilled in for Highfield Rd would have happened 2 days after the Old Trafford replay.

Oldsmobile-88

18th October 1986.
The unbeaten start continues with another draw on the road.
The supporters coach stopped off at a pub in Ross-on-Wye on the way up I seem to recall.
F9BEE61E-0032-416F-AB9C-5273D46B2DE4.jpeg

Rosencrantz

18th October 1986.
The unbeaten start continues with another draw on the road.
The supporters coach stopped off at a pub in Ross-on-Wye on the way up I seem to recall.
View attachment 5512
Goals that day for two of my childhood City favourites, Brendan O'Connell and Martin Ling (albeit for Southend).

Oldsmobile-88

Goals that day for two of my childhood City favourites, Brendan O'Connell and Martin Ling (albeit for Southend).
O’Connell came off the bench that day to score.
Dean Roberts got the nod from Appleton for the forwards role with Kellow in the early part of that season.

grecIAN Harris

I can remember an Everton-Sheffield Wednesday tie going to three or four replays before it finally got settled during the mid 80's.

Oldsmobile-88

Opening day of the 1987/88 season.15th August.
A good start with a rare home win against Cambridge Utd.The first at SJP against them in 15 years.
Roy Carter scoring a couple of goals on his debut.Carter had a good career at Hereford,Swindon & Newport previously.
He started at Falmouth Town & played in that team with Tony Kellow until he transferred to Hereford in 1975.Helping them gain promotion to the 2nd Division in 75/76.
C2DA09CD-9153-4174-8612-F7BE5EB7F618.jpeg

grecIAN Harris

Opening day of the 1987/88 season.15th August.
A good start with a rare home win against Cambridge Utd.The first at SJP against them in 15 years.
Roy Carter scoring a couple of goals on his debut.Carter had a good career at Hereford,Swindon & Newport previously.
He started at Falmouth Town & played in that team with Tony Kellow until he transferred to Hereford in 1975.Helping them gain promotion to the 2nd Division in 75/76.
View attachment 5513
Does that really say Torquay 6-1 Wrexham at the bottom?

Oldsmobile-88

Does that really say Torquay 6-1 Wrexham at the bottom?
Yes.

Torquay had a good season & got to the play off Final that campaign.

They lost over 2 legs to Swansea.

fred binneys head

David Platt scoring at Burnden Park.