• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was trying to remember when Scotty was converted and initially thought it was that season but remembered Chris Banks playing in most games. Did Scotty come in for those last games?
From what I remember Scott Hiley was still playing in midfield until the end of the season.

As we were driving home from the Friday night drubbing at Colchester we speculated that Hileys days were numbered,he was such a mediocre midfielder you could see him being shown the door.

It was genius by TC converting him to a attacking fullback(in his own image)as was Coopers other conversion,Rowbothom from average slightly overweight midfielder to star striker in one hit.

Rosencrantz

From what I remember Scott Hiley was still playing in midfield until the end of the season.

As we were driving home from the Friday night drubbing at Colchester we speculated that Hileys days were numbered,he was such a mediocre midfielder you could see him being shown the door.

It was genius by TC converting him to a attacking fullback(in his own image)as was Coopers other conversion,Rowbothom from average slightly overweight midfielder to star striker in one hit.
Although he was sold quite early the next season, I remember Chris Vinnicombe coming in at left back wearing No 9. GrecIan would be going mad 😂. Vinni looked too fragile to play left back but soon absolutely clattered some large opposition player into the primrose bank and dispelled any worries 🙂

Oldsmobile-88

I can’t believe this was exactly 40 years ago.Remember the day so well.Boxing Day 1980.
I drove down the A38 in my recently purchased Ford Cortina 2000E(Metallic Bronze,Reg NOD 233P)
Parked up on a dead end side road just off Outland Rd.I still park in the same spot nowadays.
No segregation in those days(probably the last time)
I watched with a few others in the Lyndhurst Stand,there were a few Grecians in the Barn Park End mixed in with a few home fans.
My good mate & work colleague had become a father earlier in the morning so we popped into our pub of choice in those days,The Eagle Tavern when we got back to Exeter to wet the babes head & celebrate a great win at Home Park.
We had turned them over in the League Cup a couple of times recently but that was the first FL win at Home Park for a long time.
9F45D647-7519-4D5B-A9F5-991A5AFC34B1.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

1989/90.
The previous record 62 points haul was smashed in style.
Cambridge United who reached the play offs in the last game of that season would be in the play offs for the inaugural Premier League in two years time after finishing 5th in the old Division Two.
C2A2C317-9D52-4E67-87A4-D25FD63A6AC4.jpeg

Last edited:

Alistair20000

23rd December 1961.
A long old journey in those days for the Grecians.I expect they still used train travel at that time.
Burnley top of Division One,were a major force in football at the time under the legendary Harry Potts.
They were League Champions in 1960 & finished runners up in this season.
Ipswich Town under Alf Ramsey won the League Title Club after coming up from Division Three in consecutive seasons.
View attachment 4820
Very Northern look about Division IV that season

Oldsmobile-88

FL attendance averages in 1973/74..Man U relegated from Division One but still the top average.
Leeds were League Champions.
Birmingham City 5th highest & above much more glamorous clubs at the time.
The Grecians average would be around the mean in the proceeding 46 seasons.F468FE58-B30B-4923-90FA-00F58D954645.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

29th December 1979

C496FE6C-2E4E-490B-8EC4-5ED920B11B3A.jpeg

fred binneys head

The usual win at Mansfield then?

Oldsmobile-88

The usual win at Mansfield then?
A quite remarkable record at Field Mill.
In 33 games there,the Grecians have picked up a result in 66% of games..W 12 : D 10 : L 11

fred binneys head

Even better if you look at our record since the mid 80s