• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some interesting teams in the Southern Premier. Yeovil, Bath, Weymouth and Dorchester present as expected but I being brought up a (half) generation later it's strange seeing Minehead as a top SW non league team (although I'm aware they were).
A decent league.The Alliance League with the Northern Premier League was on the horizon 1978/79.
Minehead finished runners up to Wimbledon that season who of course entered the Football League replacing Workington at the FL AGM in June.

Oldsmobile-88

1987/88.
The Grecians had a great start to the season losing only once in the first nine games & appeared to have tuned the draws of the previous season into wins.Topping the table in late September.
Particularly memorable in that early season run was a 3-2 win at Orient after going 2-1 down with a few minutes to play.Tony Kellow bent a beautiful free kick into the net for the winner in injury time.
All a false dawn,the wheels came off in early October following a home defeat to Torquay.
Colin Appleton resigned in early December(the team were 14th) John Delve took over in a temporary role,which was later extended to the end of the season.
Average attendance 2,463...Wolves & Cardiff were given the BB,not that it made much difference to the crowd figures 3,483 & 2,649 respectively which resulted in a few pi55ed off regulars who voted with their feet for the rest of the season.
D7D7D1E8-D45A-417C-AE7E-6F482F8DB9B5.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

23rd December 1961.
A long old journey in those days for the Grecians.I expect they still used train travel at that time.
Burnley top of Division One,were a major force in football at the time under the legendary Harry Potts.
They were League Champions in 1960 & finished runners up in this season.
Ipswich Town under Alf Ramsey won the League Title Club after coming up from Division Three in consecutive seasons.
11BFC3C1-486D-4BBB-BC30-2646BC96FDA9.jpeg

Spoonz Red E

23rd December 1961.
A long old journey in those days for the Grecians.I expect they still used train travel at that time.
Burnley top of Division One,were a major force in football at the time under the legendary Harry Potts.
They were League Champions in 1960 & finished runners up in this season.
Ipswich Town under Alf Ramsey won the League Title Club after coming up from Division Three in consecutive seasons.
View attachment 4820
"Crystal Palace thrashed"
You wouldn't get that nowadays .... ;)

Colesman Ballz

On my only ever visit to Selhurst Park I witnessed Palace thrash Man Utd 5-0 ! Think it was the season that Utd got relegated, they were dire. I felt sorry for Ted Macdougal who was leading their line, and the poor bugger only got set up for a chance once in the match. 😟

Spoonz Red E

On my only ever visit to Selhurst Park I witnessed Palace thrash Man Utd 5-0 ! Think it was the season that Utd got relegated, they were dire. I felt sorry for Ted Macdougal who was leading their line, and the poor bugger only got set up for a chance once in the match. 😟
My only visit there was also a Man Utd defeat - only at the hands of Wimbledon 1-0.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bradford PA in a higher division than Bradford City.

Oldsmobile-88

Iirc Frank O’Farrell was given the push after that game..Incidentally O’Farrell is still about & lives in Torquay.

United were relegated the next season 73/74.

Oldsmobile-88

Bradford PA in a higher division than Bradford City.
I think they were for many years.
Their ground,designed by Archibald Leitch was far superior to Valley Parade apparently.

Oldsmobile-88

One of those great early 1970s photos.
Brian Joy who signed from Doncaster in July 1973.He left the club at the end of the 1975/76 season to play in the new NASL,not a bad gig in those days,playing with the likes of Pele & Eusebio to name just two legends playing in the new North American Soccer League.
Iirc John Newman was disappointed that he decided to leave,he was a very versatile defender & could play in midfield.
A1EB5FF8-8369-4B1B-90DB-36B0CC13E244.jpeg

Last edited: