• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

lamrobhero

Club shop stock list from August 1972.

It was possible in the 1970’s to book transport to
England games at Wembley through the club shop. A coach would run from Exeter for some games.

View attachment 11324
I have a memory of a football programme shop (maybe other stuff as well) in Sidwell Street somewhere near the Odeon?

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have a memory of a football programme shop (maybe other stuff as well) in Sidwell Street somewhere near the Odeon?
There were lots of different clubs programmes sold in the Near Post. It was right at the start of Blackboy Road/End of Sidwell Street. Hicks the Butchers was next door.

iscalad

Didn't the Near Post also have an outlet along the Jungle Path?

Oldsmobile-88

Didn't the Near Post also have an outlet along the Jungle Path?
I remember something being being there around the 1990s It was part of the same building as was once used as club secretary’s office.

There was another outlet run by the supporters club behind the BB near to the original Social Club.

iscalad

I remember something being being there around the 1990s It was part of the same building as was once used as club secretary’s office.

There was another outlet run by the supporters club behind the BB near to the original Social Club.
Yes, about right. I used to live in Springfield Road from the mid 80s and remember walking past it on my way to the BB.

lamrobhero

There were lots of different clubs programmes sold in the Near Post. It was right at the start of Blackboy Road/End of Sidwell Street. Hicks the Butchers was next door.
I don't think it was a Club shop. I think it was between the Odeon and the roundabout - probably where Richer Sounds is now. From memory you went through a front door and the shop was in the front room - there was a display in the front window. I think I got an FA Cup Final programmme there - Chelsea v Leeds

Oldsmobile-88

I don't think it was a Club shop. I think it was between the Odeon and the roundabout - probably where Richer Sounds is now. From memory you went through a front door and the shop was in the front room - there was a display in the front window. I think I got an FA Cup Final programmme there - Chelsea v Leeds
What a cup final that was.

lamrobhero

What a cup final that was.
Indeed. If I remember correctly the programme had a feature on the semi-finals. This was before penalties and Leeds had a semi final duel over 3? matches against a tough opponent Man U?. Chelsea scored 5 against Watford who were Div 2 - although in the previous round they had beaten Liverpool which caused Bill Shankley to dismantle the team of Lawrence, St John and Yeats.
I think this is right I haven't checked on Wiki.

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed. If I remember correctly the programme had a feature on the semi-finals. This was before penalties and Leeds had a semi final duel over 3? matches against a tough opponent Man U?. Chelsea scored 5 against Watford who were Div 2 - although in the previous round they had beaten Liverpool which caused Bill Shankley to dismantle the team of Lawrence, St John and Yeats.
I think this is right I haven't checked on Wiki.
Yes..The Leeds v Man U semi finals were pretty tight by the sound of it. From memory the 2nd replay of the semi was at Burnden Park, Bolton. Leeds had quite a fixture list that season. Highfield Road, Coventry very nearly had the FA Cup Final that season. It was to be the venue for the 2nd replay.
David Webb with his 120th minute winner stopped that.

That season(69/70) The Grecians had a marathon 2nd round tie against Northampton, going to a 2nd replay which was played at The County Ground, Swindon. Lost 2-1.

Oldsmobile-88

10th March 1973

The Grecians first visit for a Football League fixture at Edgar St, Hereford.

Bob Wilson at the feet of Eric Redrobe with Mike Balson in attendance.

The 2nd photo Wilson, Jimmy Giles & Balson. I think the Hereford player is Colin Tavener.

Hereford won 1-0 on their way to the runners up spot in Division 4. The attendance was 11,302.

The game was featured on The Big Match. A rare appearance on that programme for the Grecians.

BE61F054-39DB-42A0-8896-F38882E1B303.jpeg3EFD33E1-00AE-4D4E-A3BB-E3CAC58E9E12.jpeg