• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Exehausted

My dad says the players in that photo are:

Joy, Giles, Clapham, Crawford, Gibson, Balsom, Wilson, Blain, Wingate, Neal, Binney, Clarke, Scott, Plumb, Parker.

Not in any order I don’t think.
I know it is nearly 50 years ago but it shows how the size of the squad has changed. The squad at the start of the season ( in the link post by iscalad) was just 16. In the mid season photo it is down to 15 because there is no Tony Morrin. We now have almost that amount of pros (junior 1st and 2nd year pros not apprentices) out on loan and we still have about 22 still here including those on loan!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it is nearly 50 years ago but it shows how the size of the squad has changed. The squad at the start of the season ( in the link post by iscalad) was just 16. In the mid season photo it is down to 15 because there is no Tony Morrin. We now have almost that amount of pros (junior 1st and 2nd year pros not apprentices) out on loan and we still have about 22 still here including those on loan!
Ha yes indeed ! Life was pretty uncomplicated for the manager back then, with no need to worry about accidentally making a sixth sub ! :p

Oldsmobile-88

My dad says the players in that photo are:

Joy, Giles, Clapham, Crawford, Gibson, Balsom, Wilson, Blain, Wingate, Neal, Binney, Clarke, Scott, Plumb, Parker.

Not in any order I don’t think.
Had your dad seen the photo before fred ?

It’s a great mid season photo of the squad(minus Tony Morrin)

fred binneys head

No he hadn’t, brought back some memories so thanks for posting it 👍

Oldsmobile-88

70E89DD5-8AA8-4AC8-8F5C-774F5D3AFA81.jpeg

haka

Graeme got some terrible stick from the terraces ("Cockup"). He was unlucky to join a fading team and got blamed for more than his share.

Sorry for booing you, Graeme, I was young and stupid!

Oldsmobile-88

Division 4 table on 6/2/1960.

The Grecians continued to enjoy life in the 4th Division after reorganisation at the end of 1957/58.
They just missed promotion in the inaugural Division Four, finishing 5th & one point behind Shrewsbury after losing the last game of the season at Gay Meadow.
They eventually finished 9th in 1959/60 which after many years of struggle in Division 3 South, the first two seasons in a national division must have seemed like great days at SJP.

AB3BF31F-A4DA-49F8-A135-A46132C38FAE.jpeg

Alistair20000

Lots of flat caps, whippets and ferrets in that League. Very Northern.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lots of flat caps, whippets and ferrets in that League. Very Northern.
One of them, Gateshead, failed to be re-elected at the end of that season, and were replaced by Peterborough.

Oldsmobile-88

18th March 1972.

The Grecians game at Grimsby was abandoned in the first half due to fog. The rearranged fixture was after the official last game of the season (29th April) played on 2nd May infront of 22,000 as the Mariners celebrated the 4th Division Title. I believe that was the first game that @les.gtfc watched.

The Grecians eventually finished 15th that season.

B1AE5F04-611F-4287-B8BF-28910361BE3D.jpeg