• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fine system at Exeter City in 1993/94.😁
Money for Xmas party.
9A4257F0-013C-4A51-A4E1-BECCAFF3EB21.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

The mad season that was Division 3 1982/83.
Loads of goals scored a shame about the amount conceded.😁😁
99A51C28-FED6-4354-9284-6A9189A28CB5.jpeg

Alistair20000

View attachment 1944
Bleddy hell, 104 goals shipped. :eek:

How did dear old Pate survive that (assuming lots of GK error of course) :)

Oldsmobile-88

Bleddy hell, 104 goals shipped. :eek:

How did dear old Pate survive that (assuming lots of GK error of course) :)
Len Bond was the keeper that season..Brian Godfrey said he only blamed him for a couple of them.

Looking at the table,I remember how close Newport were to the 2nd Division.They had a poor April that cost them promotion after being in the box seats for a good part of the season...They were out of existence within 5 years..

Alistair20000

Len Bond was the keeper that season..Brian Godfrey said he only blamed him for a couple of them.

Looking at the table,I remember how close Newport were to the 2nd Division.They had a poor April that cost them promotion after being in the box seats for a good part of the season...They were out of existence within 5 years..
Poor defenders, poor defensive tactics or too much emphasis on attack ? That is a lot of goals to concede.

Before my time watching/following City

Oldsmobile-88

Poor defenders, poor defensive tactics or too much emphasis on attack ? That is a lot of goals to concede.

Before my time watching/following City
From what I recall it was a very attacking team & bearing in mind Tony Kellow was injured for a part of the season.
Probably defensive tactics at fault with the personal who were available.
The Grecians had a small squad(a couple of short term loans came in)& the smallest budget in the Division.

The SJP faithful were not happy,but Godfrey did well to keep the Grecians punching above their weight & in the 3rd Division.
It was many times worse the next season following Godfreys departure(he resigned) at the end of the season.
The players had a lot of faith in Brian Godfrey & you will not hear any saying anything bad about him.

Alistair20000

From what I recall it was a very attacking team & bearing in mind Tony Kellow was injured for a part of the season.
Probably defensive tactics at fault with the personal who were available.
The Grecians had a small squad(a couple of short term loans came in)& the smallest budget in the Division.

The SJP faithful were not happy,but Godfrey did well to keep the Grecians punching above their weight & in the 3rd Division.
It was many times worse the next season following Godfreys departure(he resigned) at the end of the season.
The players had a lot of faith in Brian Godfrey & you will not hear any saying anything bad about him.
Thanks for that. (y)

Red Devon

View attachment 1944L
Even more surprising was that we had quite a settled side that season.RB was a problem position thats for sure maybe the central defensive partnership was lacking in pace a bit but other than that the team appeared to be pretty well balanced, Steve Neville finished top scorer on 17, P Rodgers 10, Kells 10 Dave Pullar 9 Stanley Mac 6 the impressive David Crown 3 goals from six appearances near the end...it was probably the lack of pace across the defence that made it an ultimately disappointing season despite the final game being one of the most memorable in living memory for me!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not sure if this is on here. Exeter vs Swansea 9 January 1999

iscalad

1987Charlton away. Bizzarely I had a chat with Razor at half time, who took great delight in telling me he was banned from SJP.