• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ben Rowe of Fulham red card infamy ? :unsure:

wiveygrecian

Is it Frankie Bennett?

Oldsmobile-88

Rosencrantz

Blakey era kit so odds on probably a triallist. We had more people on trial than The Old Bailey under Blakey 😉

Oldsmobile-88

Blakey era kit so odds on probably a triallist. We had more people on trial than The Old Bailey under Blakey 😉
😁😁
Was it Blakey who allegedly turned down the chance to sign a young Jermaine DeFoe on a season loan ?
DeFoe then went to AFC Bournemouth instead.

Oldsmobile-88

13th Feb 1993.
DFCCFA4B-B4B2-4A55-99E7-B1DF1DDFD4B6.jpeg

Rosencrantz

😁😁
Was it Blakey who allegedly turned down the chance to sign a young Jermaine DeFoe on a season loan ?
DeFoe then went to AFC Bournemouth instead.
Haven't heard that one. The kit is from around Foxy/Blakey time. We certainly got through a high number of players back then.

Oldsmobile-88

Haven't heard that one. The kit is from around Foxy/Blakey time. We certainly got through a high number of players back then.
I heard it anecdotally.It was when Harry Redknapp was manager of WHU.He wanted 18 year old DeFoe to get some match experience along with a midfielder who’s name escapes me.The story is that Blakey picked the midfielder,DeFoe goes to Bournemouth,scored in 10 consecutive games & the rest is history.

Harry Redknapp was helpful to the Grecians in that era with friendly games & of course it was not too far from Exeter horse race track 😁

Rosencrantz

I heard it anecdotally.It was when Harry Redknapp was manager of WHU.He wanted 18 year old DeFoe to get some match experience along with a midfielder who’s name escapes me.The story is that Blakey picked the midfielder,DeFoe goes to Bournemouth,scored in 10 consecutive games & the rest is history.

Harry Redknapp was helpful to the Grecians in that era with friendly games & of course it was not too far from Exeter horse race track 😁
Are you telling me that we turned down Jermain Defoe to sign Gavin Holligan 😱😱😱.

The dates match although Holligan was a striker I think. Three starts without troubling the net before later that season going back on loan to Kingstonian from where West Ham had originally signed him. Defoe - 18 goals in 29 appearances for Bournemouth.

Blakey burnt through 38 players that season with City just about scraping away from relegation mainly thanks to Christian Roberts and a late season loan spell cameo by Gary Birch.

In identifying the mystery player, I have tracked him down on Grecian Archive...Never heard of him* although in an interesting connection to the above story, the only other thing I can find out about him through Google is that he had a (presumably unsuccessful) trial at...Kingstonian. He then tried his chances down here.

*I'll leave his name just in case some almighty anorak comes up trumps without being sad enough to trawl through Grecian Archive 😉

Grecian 1901