• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

DB9

Jet Black, Drummer for The Stranglers dies aged 84. RIP

Alistair20000

Sad news that :(

Love the Stranglers me.

RIP Jet

Oldsmobile-88

Incredible to think he was nearing 40 when the Stranglers were getting national recognition. Played in a Jazz band in his youth. A very articulate man. He wrote a account, Much ado about nothing, about the bands annus horribilis in 1980..Hugh Cornwell getting busted & doing time, then the whole band getting arrested & jailed in Nice.

Always good for a few words of humour & wisdom before he got behind the skins.

Oldsmobile-88

A piece that John Robb wrote about Jet on his 80th Birthday.

DB9

Incredible to think he was nearing 40 when the Stranglers were getting national recognition. Played in a Jazz band in his youth. A very articulate man. He wrote a account, Much ado about nothing, about the bands annus horribilis in 1980..Hugh Cornwell getting busted & doing time, then the whole band getting arrested & jailed in Nice.

Always good for a few words of humour & wisdom before he got behind the skins.
Have to admit I never knew he was that old, When you saw them Jet always looked older than others in bands at that time, I just thought he was one of them blokes who looked rugged and aged before his time, It's sad he's passed and another one from my youth going making me realise I'm getting on too.

Oldsmobile-88

Have to admit I never knew he was that old, When you saw them Jet always looked older than others in bands at that time, I just thought he was one of them blokes who looked rugged and aged before his time, It's sad he's passed and another one from my youth going making me realise I'm getting on too.
He had a ice cream van that took the band to their early gigs, as well as having a Off License in Guildford in those days

Oldsmobile-88

Jet with a minging hangover apparently for the album cover shoot of Black & White in early 1978.

EDD2C3EF-6E40-499E-A4A2-A7760263737A.jpeg

Bridgy 81

I recall seeing the Stranglers at Taunton Odeon on I think their Raven tour back in the day.
I also saw them at the Eden Project in 2015 supporting Motörhead, the latter being the main reason for us going.
Unfortunately, by the end of that year Lemmy was dead 🤘
Interestingly, Lemmy was born in Burslem, but I doubt that he was a Port Vale supporter some how.

Oldsmobile-88

I recall seeing the Stranglers at Taunton Odeon on I think their Raven tour back in the day.
Yep.. I remember seeing them at that venue in 1980. There were a few good gigs at the Odeon.

The last time I saw the Stranglers with Jet drumming was at the Riverside Centre in Exeter around 2008. They were the headline at the end of the Exeter Festival Week.