• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Tim Long

My favourite story about Maradonnnnnnnnnnnnnna, from Martin Samuel's tribute in the Daily Mail.

"For this was an astonishing talent. He was eight when he went to Argentinos Juniors to trial. The club thought he must be much older and a midget, but suffering malnourishment."

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
David Prowse(85) The original Green Cross Code man.
He also played Darth Vader in the first Star Wars film.

• Sad
Reactions: DB9

DB9

David Prowse(85) The original Green Cross Code man.
He also played Darth Vader in the first Star Wars film.
As a Star Wars fan since the first film came out in 1977 (Big screen at the old Bude cinema) sad news, Met him at a small convention a few years ago, He was quite frail then having to walk with sticks. RIP. If you have Amazon, There's an interesting documentary called "Elstree 1976" about the people behind the masks and costumes of Star Wars, Worth a watch.

haka

The news coverage seems to be overlooking his (very brief) link with ECFC in the Michael Jackson saga ... thankfully.

Oldsmobile-88

The news coverage seems to be overlooking his (very brief) link with ECFC in the Michael Jackson saga ... thankfully.
Amen...🙏

Oldsmobile-88

DB9

And they still don't use his own voice, Obviously the Bristol accent doesn't come across well on screen.

Alistair20000

I met Darth and my Star Wars hero Chewbacca at Hollywood Studios last November. Played by cast members of course. An old chap who was there to answer questions told us that sadly David was no longer able to remember much if anything about playing the part.

I can remember him playing the part of Julian as the minder of the author in A Clockwork Orange back in 1971. It is said that the role brought him to the attention of George Lucas and as they say we know the rest.

RIP

grecIAN Harris

Senegal and former Fulham midfielder Papa Bouba Diop has died aged only 42. IIRC correctly he was nicknamed The Wardrobe because he was such a physical unit.

• Sad

manc grecian

I'm sure he played in a pre season friendly at sjp. He was huge.

RIP.