• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Simply that some of these people who say Maradona was wonderful have clearly studied him so studiously that they don't even know how to spell his name properly. If you wish to show someone respect perhaps you should make the effort to at least get their name right.
You have to be literate to fully apreiciate a players skill and abilities? What an interesting concept, are you Paul Tisdale?

Tim Long

You have to be literate to fully apreiciate a players skill and abilities? What an interesting concept, are you Paul Tisdale?
And you do need basic literacy to express an opinion on a forum in the written word. Opinions should be based on facts. When someone differs in opinion from you they are not "denying you the right to an opinion". They are disagreeing with you. At a time when the name Maradona was all over the medium on which this forum resides, it seems rather basic that someone should be able to spell his name. When people get your name wrong, Sturtz, do you place a very high value on their opinion of you ? My original quote was "Funny how so many people love him but can't spell his name" and I genuinely believe it to be laughable. I am sorry if you feel I was insulting you. Please PM me if you wish to take this further as this spat is not relevant to this thread and I don't want to have to kill a celebrity to move things on.

Tim Long

A magnificent footballer whose extraordinary genius lit up the game.

He also committed handball, which is of course unspeakably wicked and far worse than ending careers with injuries, taking/offering bribes, drunk driving, and all the other things that football people have done over the years, while being called a "character" who is quickly forgiven and fondly remembered.
Here's Maradona clearly going for the ball.
Hmm, taking bribes... https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/15/diego-maradona-napoli-collapse-1987-88 and the Camorra did a little bit more than career ending injuries. The bribery accusation was never proved, of course, and it's said that 'Maradona' was a mask worn by Diego, who was quiet and polite when not required to play the world beating hero. Doubtless you could argue that his connection with the Camorra was self preservation.
He was definitely a character https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/27/maradonas-role-paid-ambassador-fifa-comes-scrutiny-following/ although the blame lies with FIFA for even thinking of appointing him.
I'm sorry that I cannot separate the footballer from the man as so many seem to do.

Oh and this is called "disagreeing with someone and backing the argument with facts", not "denying someone the right to an opinion".

STURTZ

Apologies for spelling his name wrong, I do hope people knew who I was referring to and that he wasn't offended.

Back on topic, here's one of many clips of Maradona's skills and abilities, study it closely Tim and you may notice that he came in for a hell of a lot of stick without retaliation often just riding fouls and getting on with the game. Anyway impressive portfolio, even better than Terry Fenwick in my book!

Maradonnnnnnna!

Tim Long

Apologies for spelling his name wrong, I do hope people knew who I was referring to and that he wasn't offended.

Back on topic, here's one of many clips of Maradona's skills and abilities, study it closely Tim and you may notice that he came in for a hell of a lot of stick without retaliation often just riding fouls and getting on with the game. Anyway impressive portfolio, even better than Terry Fenwick in my book!

Maradonnnnnnna!
On a not dissimilar subject, also found that he'd made peace with Andoni (had to check this next bit and may still get it wrong) Goikoetxea https://www.football-espana.net/2020/11/25/andoni-goikoetxea-pays-respect-to-old-foe-diego-maradona

fred binneys head

Maradonnnnnnna!
Spelt wrong again. Far too many Ns.

haka

I'm sorry that I cannot separate the footballer from the man as so many seem to do.

Oh and this is called "disagreeing with someone and backing the argument with facts", not "denying someone the right to an opinion".
But I don't think you are disagreeing. MaradoNNNNNa did many bad things. Handball in 1986 wouldn't make the top ten.

However, those who say "can't forgive the cheating person" are (usually) talking about only one of those things, ignoring everything else, which is an extraordinary lack of perspective. If a player did it for ECFC he'd be rightly criticised, maybe even fined, dropped or sold, but anyone still going on about it 34 years later would be the kind of person you want to avoid at parties. (Obviously if he did it against Argyle he'd get a statue, which is only fair).

STURTZ

Quite right Haka, it's not as if he ever kissed the Gargoyle badge in front of the big bank eh?

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
However, those who say "can't forgive the cheating *******" are (usually) talking about only one of those things, ignoring everything else, which is an extraordinary lack of perspective. If a player did it for ECFC he'd be rightly criticised, maybe even fined, dropped or sold, but anyone still going on about it 34 years later would be the kind of person you want to avoid at parties. (Obviously if he did it against Argyle he'd get a statue, which is only fair).
Truth be told I hadn't given it a second thought throughout the years until his death. Like all England fans I wasn't best pleased with what even the German press agency DPA called "the scandal of the century." Still, like most sporting setbacks, the ache eased after a couple of weeks - perhaps not if you were one of Steve Hodge's teammates..

After all's been said and done, it was a scandal and remains a scandal.

Tim Long

But I don't think you are disagreeing. MaradoNNNNNa did many bad things. Handball in 1986 wouldn't make the top ten.
Is it 4 or 6 Ns ? I'm confused. Disappointed no paper went with the headline 'Mara-goner'.
Can someone else famous please die to move this thread on.