• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

edindevon

Maradonna gone 15 years to the day after George Best. (er, and 10 since Bernard Matthews)

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cheat ? Nah, native cunning the South Americans call it, their own Corinthian spirit - personified by Suarez and Maradona, street fighters.

One of the greats, in the main, on the field, RIP.

STURTZ

Absolute genius.

The handball incident? Nothing that doesn't happen every saturday in the national league, if anything it was a failure on the part of the officials for not spotting it, doubt Maradonna would have protested too much if it had been ruled out.

tavyred

Piece of s***.
No loss.

grecIAN Harris

Love him or hate him, you can't deny the genius.

Tim Long

Funny how so many people love him but can't spell his name. Those who say he wasn't a cheat are conveniently overlooking him being sent home from the 1994 World Cup. Easily led and given everything he wanted from a young age. I think I know the answer he would have given to "if drugs could help you win a major title but you'd die young, would you do it ?" would have been (the majority of athletes answer 'yes'). Apparently the music he has chosen for the procession of his coffin is Max Bygraves' You Need Hands.

Alistair20000

As other have posted a very fine footballer but I too cannot forgive him for the handball cheating incident. The fact that the officials missed it does not come into it. He just rubbed it in with the hand of God bilge and never apologised. When it was said he had apologised he denied it. Not a Proper Chap at all.

A grudging RIP from me even if that is heartless.

STURTZ

For me the handball was a bit of desparation, a bit like hearing the whistle when you're offside and yet still carrying on a putting the ball into the net, if the ref were to give it who would really complain, he got away with it. Understand that the incident is compacted by the fact that it was an Ingerland game and we got knocked out of the world cup ( by a better team) but looking at it as a footballing incident it was nothing, how many people have forgiven Roy Keane for deliberately stamping on Alphie Inge Harland (sorry about the spelling Tim) effectively ending his career and then standing over him and shouting revenge. No, he's something of a national hero now aparently.

Do England fans still hang efigies of David Beckham from lamp posts for getting sent off against The Argies?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
He did well to get to the age of 60.

Alistair20000

Do England fans still hang efigies of David Beckham from lamp posts for getting sent off against The Argies?
Yep