• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good man was Des, and ever youthful, but well remember the raised eyebrows when he became a father at the age of 72 with his much younger bride. My thoughts are with his 16 year old son.

older-codger

Met Des a couple of years ago when he was doing a reminiscing chat on a cruise. Have to say he was looking quite frail and had me worried when I realised he was only a few years older than me :(

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loved the time he was a guest on Morecambe & Wise 😁
They were in front of a firing squad in one sketch, and Des enjoyed being one of the men with a rifle! :) They knew each other from way back, and Des never minded being targeted by them. Understandably enough, it did annoy him a bit when a few copycats started joining in. RIP, Des.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good all round entertainer that they dont seem to produce these days was always happy to laugh at himself - RIP Des

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ray Clemence.

My goalkeeping hero growing up. Never liked Shilton

Now Ray Clemence aged only 72 has died , they seem to be coming thick and fast at the moment .

DB9

Such sad news about Ray Clemence, It seems like only yesterday watching him play in goal on MOTD or the Big Match. RIP

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of my heroes growing up have a soft spot for Spurs so was always in my radar would have had so many more caps if he had played in a different era to shilton.
RIP Ray

grecIAN Harris

It's a very sad day for English football. Ray was brilliant for England, Liverpool and Spurs, a bit like RedPaul I always preferred him in goal for England rather than Shilts. At that time I wasn't really old enough to know who was better, I just liked Ray more. He was revered by Liverpool fans. I just heard Mark Lawrenson tell of the last game of Ray's first season with Spurs when fate would have it it was at Anfield with Liverpool needing to win to win the League and the reception he received from The Kop when he was defending that end made hairs on Lawro's neck stand. I remember watching it on MtoD or Big Match, whichever it was on, and it made such an impression me at that time as I'd never seen anything like it before.

Oldsmobile-88

Another of the household football names from the era of 1970s gone.
Only conceded 16 goals in 42 league games when Liverpool won the Championship in 78/79.

He was from a era of outstanding English goalkeepers,Shilton or Clemence what a tough choice for the England manager at the time.