• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maurice Wright(82)

Many Grecians will know Maurice from over the years.
He was a real character at home & away games.
We all have gems of stories about Maurice.

He has been unwell for a few years but was still to be seen at SJP until this year.

He did many small roles at the club.
Steward on supporters coach when I was a lad(what days those coach trips were) to being the car park Fuhrer behind the BB until a couple of years ago..”You can’t park there”..😎

He will be missed by many around the club.

Last edited:

DB9

Maurice Wright(82)

He has been unwell for a few years but was still to be seen at SJP until this year.

Steward on supporters coach when I was a lad(what days those coach trips were) to being the car park Fuhrer behind the BB until a couple of years ago..”You can’t park there”..😎

My heart felt sympathies to Maurice's family, Although i never knew him personally, I knew him by sight as many people did. RIP.

Rosencrantz

Maurice Wright(82)

My Grandad worked with him for the council (I think). Always a character from what my Grandad used to tell me. It will be sad not seeing him around.

Oldsmobile-88

My Grandad worked with him for the council (I think). Always a character from what my Grandad used to tell me. It will be sad not seeing him around.
Yes he did work for ECC from what I recall.

I first remember him when I was around 16.Myself & a friend stood near him on a away game because he looked ‘hard’ He was just over 6’ stocky with a crew cut in those days,we thought if there was any trouble( which there was) no one would smack us because he was close by.
It was a good decision judging by the state of some of the other lads when we got back on the coach after the game.

He was still travelling until his illness got the better of him about 3 years ago.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Part of the furniture Maurice and as already said a character without a doubt - RIP

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maurice Wright(82)
Sorry to see this. I sat by him at Orient once, where he marked my card on new City signing Jason Rees ("Welsh git from Portsmouth"). RIP Maurice.

Spoonz Red E

Won't be the same without Maurice dropping into the club.
Often for a sit on the Club Shop sofa and a cup of tea.

A true character.

fred binneys head

What a shame. Like others have said, I didn’t know him at all, never met him, but I recognised him and enjoyed standing near him on the terrace to hear his amazing Devon accent. A true character who loved City, so he’s alright by me. RIP Grecian and sympathies to all who knew him.

STURTZ

Up there with Headley Boyce and Gilbert White, we've lost one of our true characters, RIP Maurice.

Mr Jinx

Singer Helen Reddy. 78