• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton Town Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t know if anybody else has posted it but yesterday’s attendance of 7764 at Sixfields was a record for a league game there.
Grecian Record Breakers !

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
That may be true but if Northampton don't get automatic promotion you can bet the narrative will all be about the goal that they conceded while celebrating a disallowed goal!
You can always remind Cobblers that their goal came from an illegal throw in !

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

SaintJames

Considering the scorn poured on it I was surprised at how pleasant Sixfields was, having never been there before. I liked the grassy bank of the bowl it sits in with people picnicing on it, though the weather obviously helped. And inside was fine, well organised and friendly. I've been to a lot worse places
I wasnt aware that the population of Northampton was almost twice that of Exeter so not sure why they built a stadium with a capacity of under 8,000?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasnt aware that the population of Northampton was almost twice that of Exeter so not sure why they built a stadium with a capacity of under 8,000?
As Derek Adams would say "No Ambition" !
UTC

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Population of 195,000
Exeter 132,000

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the most impressive things about our vital point at Northampton is the fact that our players didn't have to put in the effort at all. In fact after the hard game v Barrow, the guarantee of promotion, the celebrations and break in routine I'm amazed we still had the energy and will to go all that way and play with such determination. With promotion secured I'd have settled for a long and structured **** up around the benevolent hostelries of Exeter, no problem!
I thought our players looked knackered until the introduction of the subs; there was a spell just before then when we kept giving the ball away.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Possibly because traditionally they are an "egg chasing" town, and have won European honours ? Franklin Gardens stadium holds 15,250 in comparison to Sixfields.
Sixfields opened in 1994, as an all seater Stadium and cost £6m. There have been proposals to double its capacity but this relied on financing from retail and hotel development, but the Council were not prepared to allow out of town retail which would threaten the viability of the Town Centre. The Council did loan the former owners of the Club over £10m for redeveloping and expanding the currently half finished stand, the attempted recovery of this vanishing wonga being subject to a long ongoing legal saga !

SaintJames

Population of 195,000
Exeter 132,000
225,000 according to the census figure I saw but accepting the internet throws up numerous stats the point remains it's way bigger than our fair sized city

Cowshed Grecian

225,000 according to the census figure I saw but accepting the internet throws up numerous stats the point remains it's way bigger than our fair sized city
Saying that though its not just Exeter, you could add another 125K for the whole of East Devon for example. Exeter is the only club around. I look at it that way and think Argyle is not just Plymouth but Cornwall aswell-which shows you how tinpot they really are (The biggest population in Europe to never have a top flight team) in terms of catchment area.