• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton Town v Exeter City - Matchday Thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bowman is a complete waste of a shirt at the moment and shouldn’t be in the team.
Wash your mouth out.

i8cornwall

Bowman is a complete waste of a shirt at the moment and shouldn’t be in the team.
Change Bowman to Ajose and you’re pretty much spot on.

Taylor’s post match interview was spot on, short of calling players out by name he said what we all thought.

Sadly needs to shake things up before the Crawley game else his words are hollow.

Legohead

Banned
Just back. Abysmal performance from our front two in particular who were absolutely shocking. Bowman was indeed a waste of a shirt today. I've seen more movement in an embalmed mummy than him today. As for those who say he makes up for it with workrate and physicality. Bullied like a goofy schoolkid off the ball today and he didn't work hard at all. Ajose showed a small bit of willingness to at least try and get in some positions but a combination of team mates not finding him and the Cobblers defence being on top did for him. We effectively had 9 men today. That said I thought Northampton dealt with both comfortably and professionally and deserved the win.

Matt Jay I thought first half was lively and had a few pot shots at goal but other than that I can't recall their keeper having a half decent save to make. We were about as creative as Johnny Ball with amputated arms. Zero creativity whatsoever. Really disappointing.

Why, why, why does Matty again leave it far too late to try and change a game. Last week v Macc Bowman and Taylor got lucky by leaving it as it was but once again far too little too late. It was clear minutes into the second half that Northampton had both Ajose and Bowman in their pockets. Poor from Taylor and disappointing. Lack of decisive action when needed. We could have played until next week and we still wouldn't have looked dangerous so yes, i'm disappointed about the late subs.

I thought we dominated possession first half but the only two good chances fell to the Cobblers who scored from Oliver's chance seconds in. It was a cracking finish but maybe Ward could have done better? Anyway Ward saved himself with a good save from one of their attacks that he managed to tip onto the post.

The ref can **** off. A total cretin. Their number 8 can **** off too and i'm just disappointed he wasn't actually really injured. I can accept timewasting for the opposition, every team does it. It's game management to a degree but when it's as persistent and blatant as that then I have zero sympathy. I had no issue with the other Cobblers players timewasting as it was subtle and every player does it but he was a total embarrassment to the profession. Tosser. The wind, rain and cold can **** off. Sick of sitting in a ground freezing my tits off now. It's getting ridiculous. Anyway, why can't clubs when erecting stands have the sides covered so that fans are protected somewhat from the elements?

Northampton dealt with us easily. They played the conditions well and adapted whilst we looked pretty but had nothing to give in the final third. Credit to Northampton. A deserved win. Their number 10 looked useful and has a great delivery. We were the better footballing side I thought and had plenty of possession but Northampton had more desire and determination along with a bit of quality and they got the win. End of story really.

Friendly fans I spoke to were the Cobblers lot, friendly stewards too. Not my favourite away day by any means but it's people that matter and Northampton have some great people at the football club.

So for me, the Argyle draw is the only positive of the day and we put this down as a blip and move on.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Always thought Northants were one of the best sides I've seen this season when we somewhat luckily beat them at the Park and a draw would have been a good result in both games so we did well to get 3 points out of them.

Guess that our careful plans were upset by the early goal and we couldn't get our game going, Northants seem to have done their homework on us and successfully nullified key players. I'm upset that Williams being double marked didn't see Dickenson getting more action, or at least making more of an impact, we're in danger of becoming a two dimensional attack if everything has to go through Williams.

Matt Jay has earned his chance but possibly Law would be a better option to start the game, he has the experience and gravity to impose ourselves on a game, Jay is ideal to add energy when required. Oh, and surely we should be looking to do better than Pierce Sweeny, he's generally o.k. but he' not league 1!

All in all well done Northampton, good team, solid shape, well managed, be happy to see them go up with us.

Legohead

Banned
How many of us there anyone know?

STURTZ

Change Bowman to Ajose and you’re pretty much spot on.

Taylor’s post match interview was spot on, short of calling players out by name he said what we all thought.

Sadly needs to shake things up before the Crawley game else his words are hollow.
From what I've learnt about Matt Taylor in the last two years, if he says that he will shake things up then he will.

i8cornwall

From what I've learnt about Matt Taylor in the last two years, if he says that he will shake things up then he will.
True, he didn’t actually say that in his post match interview today.

My point was more around it’s great he is as angry as us but it’s wasted if he doesn’t change it for Crawley which I’d be hugely surprised if he didn’t.

I’d give Ajose and bowman a rest and start Martin and Fisher/jay up top.

fred binneys head

How many of us there anyone know?
402 I think it was.

crocks

Abysmal - the game, the ref, City's performance. Worst game Ive been to this season.......the only consolation is that City will not be that poor in the next game. Matt Taylor simply will not allow that to happen and the players themselves will want to put things right.

Colesman Ballz

True, he didn’t actually say that in his post match interview today.

My point was more around it’s great he is as angry as us but it’s wasted if he doesn’t change it for Crawley which I’d be hugely surprised if he didn’t.

I’d give Ajose and bowman a rest and start Martin and Fisher/jay up top.
Fisher is coming back from injury, and was totally knackered after sixty minutes on Tuesday, no way should he be starting until he is able to at least play for ninety minutes.