• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton Town - Sat 22nd Feb

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’ll have a hat trick in a week I think, Macclesfield followed by Pompey followed by Northampton. Bring it.

Dannyred

I think Orient is £25...
Crazy to think you can get in to watch some premier league games for that price or cheaper.

League 2 should be no more than £18

Legohead

Banned
Crazy to think you can get in to watch some premier league games for that price or cheaper.

So long as people keep paying it then they will do what they like. I agree though.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster

Proportionally, gate income is more vital for the smaller clubs.

Some Premier Clubs could charge a lot less still, nothing in some cases, and still be viable.
Due to:
  • More seats per stadium.
  • Cost offset against other moneys accrued by virtue of Premiership status.
  • A greater price range - expensive top of the range seats bumping the mean seat price up.

Dannyred

So long as people keep paying it then they will do what they like. I agree though.
Many empty stands in league 2 this season

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll have a hat trick in a week I think, Macclesfield followed by Pompey followed by Northampton. Bring it.
Because I'm doing three straight Saturdays (Northampton, Crawley (H) in the prawn sandwich section and Walsall) I've decided to pass on Portsmouth and watch it on the laptop instead.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Many empty stands in league 2 this season
That's because of the price elasticity of demand for Football. It doesn't matter if you make it a fiver each time, if the product on offer is rubbish the people won't go. And even if they did, it wouldn't recoup the losses you make on the ticket price. However, if you raise the price, the people who always go will still always go.

Legohead

Banned
That's because of the price elasticity of demand for Football. It doesn't matter if you make it a fiver each time, if the product on offer is rubbish the people won't go. And even if they did, it wouldn't recoup the losses you make on the ticket price. However, if you raise the price, the people who always go will still always go.

This is bang on and says a lot more about the fickle nature of a significant number of 'fans'. If a club was struggling year on year and tickets were dirt cheap then there would still be loads of empty seats because a lot of fans want to see wins and not necessarily a game of football. Their priority is being entertained and seeing wins. Their priority isn't supporting the club or simply enjoying the day out regardless of it they witness consecutive 5-0 hammerings. This is why when clubs are on fire, the grounds are swelled with fans and when clubs are in the gutter there is usually over half the ground empty.

Clubs like Morecambe and Dagenham for example have done experiments in the past where they offer free entry for one game or pay what you think you should be paying and yet the ground is still over half empty. This is because a lot of fans want to see a team playing well, doing well and winning and don't want to see rubbish even if it's free.

Like i said. Fickle.

With this in mind it is difficult for clubs lower down to get the balance right on pricing.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This is bang on and says a lot more about the fickle nature of a significant number of 'fans'. If a club was struggling year on year and tickets were dirt cheap then there would still be loads of empty seats because a lot of fans want to see wins and not necessarily a game of football. Their priority is being entertained and seeing wins. Their priority isn't supporting the club or simply enjoying the day out regardless of it they witness consecutive 5-0 hammerings. This is why when clubs are on fire, the grounds are swelled with fans and when clubs are in the gutter there is usually over half the ground empty.

Clubs like Morecambe and Dagenham for example have done experiments in the past where they offer free entry for one game or pay what you think you should be paying and yet the ground is still over half empty. This is because a lot of fans want to see a team playing well, doing well and winning and don't want to see rubbish even if it's free.

Like i said. Fickle.

With this in mind it is difficult for clubs lower down to get the balance right on pricing.
I wouldn't say "fickle" necessarily, it's just that Football is a different priority to different people in terms of their level of interest. To those with only a passing interest in City they may only go along if the weather's nice, City are doing well and the oppo are a name they recognise. That's perfectly OK, and I understand why they're unlikely to attend a match on a lousy day when City are 17th in the table with little riding on the match against a bunch of Northern cloggers. Even if the price of a ticket is slashed for the occasion (although that might tempt *some* of them).

The absolute die-hards, for whom Saturday 3pm is what they spend the rest of their week working towards, will watch City if the price is a fiver or 25 quid.

Legohead

Banned
I take your point Jason. Level of interest being key here. Take clubs like Huddersfield for example who go up into the Prem and are sold out every game. They get relegated to the Championship and suddenly there are empty seats and tickets available. Personally I do think it's fickle on a number of levels but using the term 'level of interest' makes them sound less fickle. ;)

Regardless of what I think you are correct in saying that people have different levels of interest when it comes to going to watch a team and that could be based on a number of factors like the weather, ticket prices, where the club are in the league etc etc and it will always be difficult to repeatedly attract these types of fans if the football club aren't successful on the pitch.

Unfortunately I do think a lot of clubs know this and they have a habit of ripping off the die hards as they know they will pay whatever and attend whatever come what may and do little to attract newcomers as it's easier and costs less.