• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

North Korea

ecfc70

this could get messy, either NK are playing a very dangerous game to see what the yanks reactions are before they go too far, or they really are fruit loops and are going to start throwing around big buckets of instant sunshine around causing everyone to watch Threads again

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
That Panaroma programme was the Beeb at it's worst, with it's the viewer is so dim they'll think this stuff is a revelation when it's pretty ****inobvious but we don't have anything so will try and trick the viewer (I.E. the journo says "look you can get a signal so you can speak to the outside world" then in the next breath says there's 1 million mobiles in North Korea so it's easy to speak with the outside World) even the usually mildly clever editing was utter ****. One of the World's poorest countries has poor people and bugger all electricity. Jeez, tell us something we don't know.

Just out of interest when the USSR fell and the Koreans had that famine what did the West do to help? Reason I ask is I don't recall anything at the time.

Willy Nilly

What do people expect from the North Koreans, really? Any leaders of an enemy of the US that give up their weapons tend not to be around much longer afterwards. I doubt that Kim and his friends fancy hiding in a pipe and getting a metal bar up the arse and a bullet in the head.

The US have continually broken promises of aid and help to the North Koreans but that tends to get missed by the media.

Last edited:

ecfc70

didnt see the beebs programme but then you didnt really need to watch it to know that it would be poor, NK must be feeling that they are being provoked and like a cornered cat it's putting its back up......however if the reports are correct they have slightly sharper claws to hit back with

Red Lion

Haven't watched the programme yet. If it's as poor as AU says it would appear the Beeb have used a legitimate educational trip as cover for their journalist to tell us what we know already.

There is a possibility the students could have been endangered. Not worse than that, but not good, visas to get into NK must be as rare as rocking horse poop. It must have been granted in good faith, and the NK authorities must now feel totally betrayed.

Way to build a relationship!

Phil Sayers

It was quite amusing to see Mr Sweeney try and obtain a copy of 1984 from Pyongyang central library mind....

Phil Sayers

didnt see the beebs programme but then you didnt really need to watch it to know that it would be poor, NK must be feeling that they are being provoked and like a cornered cat it's putting its back up......however if the reports are correct they have slightly sharper claws to hit back with
Poor* NK are deeply paranoid and probably do feel like they are being provoked. Much like the Soviet Union felt Able Archer in 1983 was a cover for an imminent attack Pyongyang are extremely worried that US / SK exercises are a prelude to an invasion. However why should everyone else pander to the lunacy of a tyrannical regime?

Willy Nilly is right to say the US have broken various aid commitments (and also promises to build a 'light' nuclear reactor) but that aid was promised in exchange for them abandoning their nuclear programme which plainly did not happen. Almost every deal reached with the DPRK since the 1994 crisis could fairly be described as appeasement and it is because being belligerent has worked so well for them in the past that they keep trying the 'look at me' scrappy do approach.

Some of the anti-US sentiment already on this thread is hilarious.

*What kind of scum allow millions to die from starvation while developing nuclear weapons in the hope of preserving their pathetic little dictatorship?

As to what to do about them then the answer is obvious. Like a misbehaving toddler ignore them until they get bored and / or grow up.

angelic upstart

True story, but they even ballsed that up by only having books in English on show. For all we know they may have it it Korean but we will never know. Not unlike beard man saying "there's tension in the air, but I dunno what it is" then nothing happens and it isn't mentioned again.

In short I have barely seen anything so bad in my life. Makes you think about the editing of the stuff they have 6/7 months of footage mind you. #suddenconspiracytheorist #turningintokimjongil #firsteverhashtagthingsoiveprobablydoneitallwrong omg lol haha rofl lmao

Last edited:

angelic upstart

*What kind of scum allow millions to die from starvation while developing nuclear weapons in the hope of preserving their pathetic little dictatorship?

As to what to do about them then the answer is obvious. Like a misbehaving toddler ignore them until they get bored and / or grow up.
Erm India, Pakistan probably a couple others if you take the word nuclear away.

I agree about the misbehaving toddler thing.

Phil Sayers

True story, but they even ballsed that up by only having books in English on show. For all we know they may have it it Korean but we will never know. Not unlike beard man saying "there's tension in the air, but I dunno what it is" then nothing happens and it isn't mentioned again.

In short I have barely seen anything so bad in my life. Makes you think about the editing of the stuff they have 6/7 months of footage mind you. #suddenconspiracytheorist #turningintokimjongil #firsteverhashtagthingsoiveprobablydoneitallwrong omg lol haha rofl lmao
Agreed. I think it would be possible to do a genuinely fascinating documentary on North Korea but for the most part this was poor television.