• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ninety Years

Exelurker

So will the WTS become the old grandstand as and when the new one is built?

Seriously, wonder if we can get a decent sponsorship for the new one? Must be worth some money to us, even if it isn't a fortune?
Hopefully the existing sponsors of the 'Stagecoach Family Stand', will want to continue - perhaps not worth it for them though if all those years of sponsorship haven't yet got through the consciousness of regular supporters?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Hopefully the existing sponsors of the 'Stagecoach Family Stand', will want to continue - perhaps not worth it for them though if all those years of sponsorship haven't yet got through the consciousness of regular supporters?
Don't know how much the stagecoach sponsorship is worth but would hope we could get a bigger sponsorship with the publicity about the new stand. The money raised from naming that stand and even naming a new away terrace could go towards the cost of doing it, if there is a shortfall and the away end can't go ahead initially.

Colesman Ballz

Well that diatribe certainly fits with the user name. Personally I've read little that is constructive from RW and much that is a toxic mix of fantasy, delusion and misinformation laced it seems with plenty of sour grape juice. Time to get behind what we CAN have rather than harping on about the stuff of dreams.
Personally I have never read any suggestion whatsoever from your goodself that would further our football club. I would admit that I too have dismissed some of RW's wilder notions out of hand, but you take the rough with the smooth, and if just one percent bear fruit, then I am happy that he continues to contribute ideas for the future benefit of our beloved club.

Perhaps when you are casting proud glances at the shiny new replacement stand, you will stop to consider whether you in fact owe RW a rather humbling apology, given that some ten or so years ago, when the redevelopment of SJP was first being mooted, it was none other than the person that you seemingly take pleasure in denigrating who came up with the proposal of using student accommodation to finance the project !

As they say Geoffrey, those that can, do . . . those that can't teach !

Swanaldo

All those years of sponsorship haven't yet got through the consciousness of regular supporters?
Do you actually expect the average fan to refer to a stand by its official, sponser-given name? "I'll see you on the Blackthorn Big Bank"? Not gonna happen.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Do you actually expect the average fan to refer to a stand by its official, sponser-given name? "I'll see you on the Blackthorn Big Bank"? Not gonna happen.
It's like those radio ads in the build up to the World Cup or the Euros...

"I'm getting really excited about the FIFA World Cup!"

"Yes, I can't wait for it, it's going to be the best FIFA World Cup ever, I'm stocking up on COCA COLA for the FIFA World Cup!"

Stuart Storer's Tache

I went through a phase of going in the OG back in the late 90s early 00s, firstly because we used to go in the lounge prior to going on the lash in Exeter and after when my then girlfriend played for the ladies team and I used to get a comp.

Only a handful of memories - Newcastle PSF when the two new stands were "officially" opened
Hull tearing us a new one on the first day on the season. They'd just had some investment (Gary Alexander played for them that day) and were roared (sorry) on by a very vocal away support.
I'm almost certain I saw Flack's piledriver v Swansea from the OG. I'm sure I remember the stunned looks on the Swans fans in the away end as we pumped them 4-0 only days after they'd beaten West Ham in a FA Cup replay. When I play that goal back in my mind its from my old vantage point in the 'shed. Standing under the TV gantry may explain it

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Well that is a relief. I thought Pete might be announcing his birthday or his number of years supporting City ! :)

elginCity

Rarely ever went in the OG, but after seeing the Southend and Chester 1-5 games from there, put me off for life. Good riddance !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Rarely ever went in the OG, but after seeing the Southend and Chester 1-5 games from there, put me off for life. Good riddance !
At least you were probably drier at the Chester game than I was, stood on the Big Bank.

Red Bill

You're clearly right here, I thought it was the Thatchers big bank. I've often wondered whether fans of clubs who's grounds have sold their naming rights actually ever use the new name. I mean if you were in 'Smith's Sewage Solutions Stadium' or ' Anusol Arena" or something, I can't imagine anyone wanting to shout about that!:D