• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ninety Years

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Sat in the OG many times. Saw my first game (we lost) sat alongside my grandad from it. When the weather improves I will make one final visit to it. Hopefully I will have a seat with minimal roof post obstruction. Happiest memory is watching the 7-1 drubbing of Barrow from its then bench seats.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
A good op Pete, rw shut up and butt out please taking your smoke and mirrors alchemy with you. If this continues to go through as the plan now exists then I believe it will serve the club well. It has been a great effort by all those involved at the club.
Au contraire Geoffrey, why don't you shut up, and stick your head back in the sand. I for one am prepared to listen to anyone putting forward constructive suggestions, and evaluate each on its merits. Having spent my working life in the field of architecture and design, then yes what is on the table, is an improvement on the rotting hulk that exists, and getting it for free is an achievement.

However I am totally underwhelmed, and am frankly appalled at the design not being future-proofed. We should NOT be building something that cannot be adapted and expanded as required in the future ! Both the proposals for the away end, and the new stand, will need knocking down and starting again from scratch, to effect significant future improvements. We are simply passing an expensive buck on to future generations.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Sadly I must concur with CB.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Me too. I don't see why we should just be thankful and settle for what we're getting, we should still be getting the best possible solution for the money and space available and frankly it's short sighted if we don't.

Things like moving it closer to the pitch to free up space behind or to the side (jungle path) if we ever want to expand should have been designed in from the start. I'm pleased to see the old girl going at last but I'd be much happier with a well thought out proposal for a new stand.

geoffwp

Au contraire Geoffrey, why don't you shut up, and stick your head back in the sand. I for one am prepared to listen to anyone putting forward constructive suggestions, and evaluate each on its merits. Having spent my working life in the field of architecture and design, then yes what is on the table, is an improvement on the rotting hulk that exists, and getting it for free is an achievement.

However I am totally underwhelmed, and am frankly appalled at the design not being future-proofed. We should NOT be building something that cannot be adapted and expanded as required in the future ! Both the proposals for the away end, and the new stand, will need knocking down and starting again from scratch, to effect significant future improvements. We are simply passing an expensive buck on to future generations.
Well that diatribe certainly fits with the user name. Personally I've read little that is constructive from RW and much that is a toxic mix of fantasy, delusion and misinformation laced it seems with plenty of sour grape juice. Time to get behind what we CAN have rather than harping on about the stuff of dreams.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well there we go, the prophet has spoken.

All aboard the happy clappy no questions asked tourbus to Utopia.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about recycling some of the material from the OG when it is taken down to rebuild the away end and thus the 'Old Lady' will remain within St James Park forever more, just in a different guise!

geoffwp

Well there we go, the prophet has spoken.

All aboard the happy clappy no questions asked tourbus to Utopia.
Sorry but your passport is out of date.

Saint James

I'm an OG season ticket holder and like the old lady I have to say. However, nostalgia mustn't get in the way of progress. I do share reservations made by others about the lack of forward planning but I take the pragmatic view that I would rather take what's on offer than be forced by circumstance to play in a three sided ground whence the OG is finally mothballed with no chance of an alternative due to a lack of money. One thing I would say though is whilst the capital costs of the project are at no cost to the club we mustn't believe this hasn't come at a financial cost in other aspects. I believe the previous scheme cost the club in excess of £100k in consultancy and planning fees and assume the same sort of figure has again been spent getting the project to this point?

Red Bill

I've sat in the OG twice. Once for my first league game in 1972, and then again last summer for the PSF against Fluminense. Glad to have had the chance to go in it one last time and I'll be sad to see it go, but it really is time!