• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ninety Years

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pete, a serious question - how do you think that we will generate the additional off field income that would put us on a level playing field with all the other clubs in our league that are getting their redevelopment plans right? That certainly wouldn't be through a very tired, high rental cost, St. James' Centre, so how do you propose to do it?
First off, I am not convinced that we are not on a level playing field with at least some of the other clubs in our league. If we are not, our general track record is better than many with greater resources. However, considering other potential funding sources;

• We promote, properly fund and further develop our already highly regarded academy, eventually to make it a Category 2 facility and produce more players that, in time, other clubs want to acquire, generating significant additional income in the process. We are progressively improving this cash stream all the time.
  • We put a plan together to negotiate and eventually acquire the SJC (+ Crowfunding?). It has potential - you call it tired (and I agree), but so was George's Meeting House before Wetherspoons took it over. It can be improved and can be made to generate more income, it just needs the right person/people to develop its potential in the right way. Steve Gibbings is already booking and promoting popular bands at the SJC and these have been very successful. Even a simple fact that it isn't a private club and is, in fact, a public bar is not general knowledge in my experience. That in itself needs promoting and exploiting, particularly with over 300 students shortly to be living just next door. ;)
  • The new stand will have franchising opportunities and we need to fully exploit them and make them work for us.

The list is not exhaustive, but I give some examples of what we could now be doing. The willingness of supporters in general to suggest other potential areas of income generation, think outside of the box and give just a little of their time to help develop same could also reap dividends.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Have sat in the o.g. many times, may look to go in again for a final game once we know it's definitely being pulled down after the season. If last game is a dead rubber will definitely do this, but if we reach the play offs or are in with a shout to the wire i would possibly stay on the bank as the red legion should have it very loud.

Was it always painted green? If not when did that happen, and was red paint expensive? ;)

Fareham Grecian

(Wonder how long it will be though before someone starts moaning. It'd be nice to keep this as a positive thread.)

Ah well. Six posts was further than I thought we might get.

Colesman Ballz

Are we going to be selling bits of the metal on a stand with a plaque attached :) ??
Why stop at bits of metal ? Let's be adventurous - how about little jars of pigeon pooh, or dead flies from the commentary box encased in small blocks of perspex !

geoffwp

A good op Pete, rw shut up and butt out please taking your smoke and mirrors alchemy with you. If this continues to go through as the plan now exists then I believe it will serve the club well. It has been a great effort by all those involved at the club.

Rabid Doug

Everyone calls it the old grandstand now, but when did it make the transition from grandstand to old grandstand?
When it became dilapidated, crusty and covered in bird ****...I would say 20 years ago

chunkymorrinmunter

Have sat in the o.g. many times, may look to go in again for a final game once we know it's definitely being pulled down after the season. If last game is a dead rubber will definitely do this, but if we reach the play offs or are in with a shout to the wire i would possibly stay on the bank as the red legion should have it very loud.

Was it always painted green? If not when did that happen, and was red paint expensive? ;)
don't know but I do recall the roof bearing a advert saying"Fill up with "Regent for better results" a petrol brand if I remember rightly.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think it became the OG when the New Grandstand was built.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
So will the WTS become the old grandstand as and when the new one is built?

Seriously, wonder if we can get a decent sponsorship for the new one? Must be worth some money to us, even if it isn't a fortune?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So will the WTS become the old grandstand as and when the new one is built?

Seriously, wonder if we can get a decent sponsorship for the new one? Must be worth some money to us, even if it isn't a fortune?
The Lucky Garden takeaway, by the looks!