• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nigel Atangana Signs

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Lloyd James and Jordan Tillson were very capable defensive midfielders, but I don't want them back because the fans lack of support for them means they'll always be blamed when there's a bad result and that creates a bad atmosphere. Some football fans only appreciate defensive midfielders that are crunching tacklers and run about a lot, but if you look at the best players in that position these days they don't really do that. The absolute king of this position was Makalele for me and he barely ever got into the last third or played a pass further than fifteen yards, he just broke up opposition play expertly. Lots of interceptions, close marking, shirt pulling when he wasn't already on a yellow. Excellent short passing, timing those passes and being happy to receive and distribute the ball on either foot when under tight pressure. Kante is similar but more mobile. It's really guesswork at the moment what exact type of midfield role Atangana will be asked to fulfill, but people need to be patient with him if he isn't getting assists or goals or looking dynamic going forward if it isn't what he's being asked to do. From the Youtube clips it does look like he's more dynamic than Tillson or James, but let's see.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Lloyd James and Jordan Tillson were very capable defensive midfielders, but I don't want them back because the fans lack of support for them means they'll always be blamed when there's a bad result and that creates a bad atmosphere. Some football fans only appreciate defensive midfielders that are crunching tacklers and run about a lot, but if you look at the best players in that position these days they don't really do that. The absolute king of this position was Makalele for me and he barely ever got into the last third or played a pass further than fifteen yards, he just broke up opposition play expertly. Lots of interceptions, close marking, shirt pulling when he wasn't already on a yellow. Excellent short passing, timing those passes and being happy to receive and distribute the ball on either foot when under tight pressure. Kante is similar but more mobile. It's really guesswork at the moment what exact type of midfield role Atangana will be asked to fulfill, but people need to be patient with him if he isn't getting assists or goals or looking dynamic going forward if it isn't what he's being asked to do. From the Youtube clips it does look like he's more dynamic than Tillson or James, but let's see.
Looks classy for Div 2. Keeps the ball moving, can hold off challenges, tackles back. The video makes him look good. If it is representative then we have a much better option than Tilson, IF he can play enough games

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Lloyd James and Jordan Tillson were very capable defensive midfielders, but I don't want them back because the fans lack of support for them means they'll always be blamed when there's a bad result and that creates a bad atmosphere.
To be fair you rate 99% of the players who have played for ECFC over the last 10 years which is a very unrealistic approach.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair you rate 99% of the players who have played for ECFC over the last 10 years which is a very unrealistic approach.

I tend to keep pretty quiet on here about a player if I'm not a huge fan. I'm also patient with players: earlier this season when I saw Lee Martin play, I couldn't for the life of me work out why Matt Taylor had brought him in, he looked absolutely bereft of any ability to make an impact in a game in the position he was in. I didn't go on all day about it on here though, and later in the season in a more natural position for him he proved that he has plenty to offer to the team.

Stelios

Hesitantly can I point out that...( if I have got this right)

City did better with Tillson in the first half of last season than we did in the second half of the season after he departed.

Cheltenham did better in the second half of the season with Tillson than they did in the first half of the season with Atangana.
I was one of those who felt more confident with Tilson in the team than without him. Especially away from home. It obviously limited our options going forward but we had a horrible spell where we seemed to get dominated for large parts of a game and when he was brought in to the starting XI I felt we were more solid and able to take pressure of our defence. This was before Archie was getting into the side regularly.

He will never be a fan favourite and his passing can be awful but overall I felt he had more of a positive impact on the team than negative. I felt we missed him at times in the 2nd half of the season (when our form was very erratic).

PeteUSA

He will never be a fan favourite and his passing can be awful ...........
Never mind, time is a great healer.

If you are reading this Nigel, then get fit. If your head needs sorting or you are distracted by your lifestyle then sort it. No idea whether that is so but you are too talented to be playing at this level, so something appears to be amiss. This should be your time. You are now at a decent club which has spent money and which you can only make better. You have an impressive showreel.

IndoMike

If you are reading this Nigel, then get fit. If your head needs sorting or you are distracted by your lifestyle then sort it. No idea whether that is so but you are too talented to be playing at this level, so something appears to be amiss. This should be your time. You are now at a decent club which has spent money and which you can only make better. You have an impressive showreel.
Am I missing something? Our Nige is just recovering from injury isn't he? Or has he gone on the hippy trail to Katmandu or to to a guru in India? Hare Krishna.

CraigECFC

Am I missing something? Our Nige is just recovering from injury isn't he? Or has he gone on the hippy trail to Katmandu or to to a guru in India? Hare Krishna.
Definitely injured. Was there yesterday watching as he has been most of Pre Season. Was never meant to play the first month or so of the season. That was known when he signed.

Stelios

Haha. That did make I larf.

He's recovering from a serious achilles injury. This is all in the public domain! MT told us when he signed. He'll probably miss the first first month or two of the season. Players often play their best football when not in the side and at the moment dear Nige is on course to be player of the year! Don't think we should be putting too much expectation on him but I'm looking forward to seeing him.