• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Next season’s squad

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would prefer to see Woodman as player coach rather than Deano.

i8cornwall

I was told about 18 months ago that Lee Holmes was calling it a day once his deal had run out, he has a business so imagine that is what he will fill his time with.

The only players I’d keep who might be out of contract are A Martin, Lee Martin and Moxey.

Moxey purely for the experience he can give to the younger players as he has been there and done it so to speak.

Only player I’d be desperate to see us bring in is a goal scorer but that is easier said then done at the best of times.

Rosencrantz

I was told about 18 months ago that Lee Holmes was calling it a day once his deal had run out, he has a business so imagine that is what he will fill his time with.

The only players I’d keep who might be out of contract are A Martin, Lee Martin and Moxey.

Moxey purely for the experience he can give to the younger players as he has been there and done it so to speak.

Only player I’d be desperate to see us bring in is a goal scorer but that is easier said then done at the best of times.
Moxey, like other high earners out of contract, could be very vulnerable if the future of income in League One and Two remain unclear. It could be that saving money talks and Hartridge is seen as more a more than practical alternative.

i8cornwall

Moxey, like other high earners out of contract, could be very vulnerable if the future of income in League One and Two remain unclear. It could be that saving money talks and Hartridge is seen as more a more than practical alternative.
That is very true and money will talk for us more then most as it always has. If we could get him on a cheaper more “cost friendly” deal just for playing would be brilliant.

Would you take him again on his reported current costly deal if that came with a coaching role as well as playing? E.g getting double for your money so to speak.

Rosencrantz

That is very true and money will talk for us more then most as it always has. If we could get him on a cheaper more “cost friendly” deal just for playing would be brilliant.

Would you take him again on his reported current costly deal if that came with a coaching role as well as playing? E.g getting double for your money so to speak.
It would come under consideration if that is what Deano wants to do going forward but would still probably need a wage cut as his playing time is already coming down this season. The thing I would say is that the coaching would be in the academy and I think Woody is already doing bits and pieces and would be a good character to have starting his coaching career with us if he was playing or not. I don't think there is any space in the coaching staff at first team or u23 level currently.

I think we were coming up to a point where decisions of whether to clear the way for our younger players to come through into the first team was going to take place in the next year or so. Some might have happened organically so to speak like Randall for Holmes and Tillson being moved on. Others would be difficult decisions and Hartridge/Deano would have been one of these decisions. Hartridge is the same positional profile of player as Deano and would be a difficult decision to make in normal times. This situation could move it into Hartridge's favour.

i8cornwall

It would come under consideration if that is what Deano wants to do going forward but would still probably need a wage cut as his playing time is already coming down this season. The thing I would say is that the coaching would be in the academy and I think Woody is already doing bits and pieces and would be a good character to have starting his coaching career with us if he was playing or not. I don't think there is any space in the coaching staff at first team or u23 level currently.

I think we were coming up to a point where decisions of whether to clear the way for our younger players to come through into the first team was going to take place in the next year or so. Some might have happened organically so to speak like Randall for Holmes and Tillson being moved on. Others would be difficult decisions and Hartridge/Deano would have been one of these decisions. Hartridge is the same positional profile of player as Deano and would be a difficult decision to make in normal times. This situation could move it into Hartridge's favour.
I think is probably the correct answer. I don’t really no how the coaching works in the academy. Tully did say in his interview he was doing some stuff with the under 18’s so wasn’t sure if that would have been a hypothetical route for moxey to go down.

Regardless it’s going’s to be a very interesting summer for many reasons.

Rosencrantz

I think is probably the correct answer. I don’t really no how the coaching works in the academy. Tully did say in his interview he was doing some stuff with the under 18’s so wasn’t sure if that would have been a hypothetical route for moxey to go down.

Regardless it’s going’s to be a very interesting summer for many reasons.
Coaching wise, I think we are aiming to be self sufficient, developing our own coaches through the academy and youth football and being promoted when the opportunity or talent arises. From Tully's interview there seems to be a high view on understanding City's "DNA" whether that is from being a former player (Matt, Wayno, Tulls) or being brought up coaching by the club (Dan Green, Aaron Pugh). Woody, Deano, Holmes, any player coming to the end of their careers at City who want to develop as a coach, will probably have an opportunity given if there is space, but I am not sure they will be first team straight away.

It doesn't stop City looking outside (Kevin Nicholson for example) but I think developing coaches is as important for City, and all football in England, as developing players is. The better the coaching, the better players come through is quite obvious but has seemed to take the FA a long time to recognise. St George's Park is more important for developing coaches rather than England's young players.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will we hear soon or will the Club wait until after the play off situation is resolved/completed?

ryancooper327

Will we hear soon or will the Club wait until after the play off situation is resolved/completed?
Surely after play off situation.

andrew p long

On current plans we may be playing play offs next month( though I think that is very unlikely) so it wouldn’t be good to tell players now that they are leaving !