• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Next season’s squad

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Much as I like him as far as I can recall Lee has not played a league game so far this season and he is probably on decent money and over recent seasons he has been increasingly injury prone.
I doubt he will be retained.
Agree but I still think he’s got something to offer.....maybe we could put something to him on reduced terms in the present climate.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would like to see A Martin and Dickenson sign new deals...the other out of contract players I’d let go although I’d like to think Lee Holmes isn’t finished yet.
Lee Holmes was finished 12 months ago. Did he kick a ball for us this season?

jimmy

No doubt he (Holms) would have played consistently at a higher level had he not been injury prone.

Like all players, and all contracts for that matter, I am sure it will be weighed up how much football ECFC can get out of the superb (on his day) 33 year old.

Positive spin

It must be on the cards that Craig Woodman will hang up his boots whenever this season finally ends.
I do hope there will be some way that the fans and club can give him some appropriate recognition for his loyal service and 250 performances.
I will never forget a few seasons back when he was good contender for player of the season that he went down in front of the old grandstand. He was treated and got up holding what it later transpired was his broken arm. He was his quiet calm self throughout.
The perfect example unassuming dedicated professional footballer.

LOG

It sounds a fairly obvious thing to say but players being available for selection is something that's important to King Matt. For example, Troy Brown was a (mostly) competent player but his injury record was such that you wouldn't know from match to match whether he'd be fit and that was a large part of the reason he was released. I think Lee Holmes fits into that category too, unfortunately.

The deluder

It sounds a fairly obvious thing to say but players being available for selection is something that's important to King Matt. For example, Troy Brown was a (mostly) competent player but his injury record was such that you wouldn't know from match to match whether he'd be fit and that was a large part of the reason he was released. I think Lee Holmes fits into that category too, unfortunately.
I do find it very hard to believe, particularly in the current circumstances that anyone could even consider giving Lee Holmes a new contract. He has certainly been a good player for us in the past. But his time has come and gone.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think there might be quite a cull, including a number of youngsters. A lot will depend on what financing the EFL will make available.

Colesman Ballz

I am pretty optimistic about next season, particularly if budgets and squad sizes are slashed across the leagues. The way our youngsters performed against league one teams earlier this season, with just a smattering of seasoned pros, gives me great hope. The Academy could put us in a very strong position.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am pretty optimistic about next season, particularly if budgets and squad sizes are slashed across the leagues. The way our youngsters performed against league one teams earlier this season, with just a smattering of seasoned pros, gives me great hope. The Academy could put us in a very strong position.
Totally agree. The likes of Kite and Randall could really step up and I’d sooner give them a proper chance to progress and become first team players. COVID may help young players progress quickly which will be great for us.

ryancooper327

Last year we released our retained list 10th May. Obviously these are unprecedented times but I imagine the decisions have been somewhat made with no further football and most probably L2 football next season. I wonder when the list will be made available.