• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport (H) - 16.10.21 Discussion Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Taylor says he is likely to move away from his current tactic of three central defenders and wing-backs in favour of a back four for the visit of Newport County on Saturday as he looks to get more attacking players on the field." (BBC sport website)

Some of us have been saying this for weeks if not months. Why do football managers take so long to see the bleeding obvious?

jimmy

"Taylor says he is likely to move away from his current tactic of three central defenders and wing-backs in favour of a back four for the visit of Newport County on Saturday as he looks to get more attacking players on the field." (BBC sport website)

Some of us have been saying this for weeks if not months. Why do football managers take so long to see the bleeding obvious?
Because they don't want to lose games and lose their jobs. It's true that managers are often understandably over-cautious and often set up not to lose rather than out to win.

A genuine question to ponder. Would we have more points on the board if we had set out with a more attacking line up? We'll never know. I doubt we'd have as many clean sheets!

Banksy

The fans would love that attacking line up I bet though Jimmy and in spite of losses maybe we might just bag more points overall. One thing’s for sure , over caution won’t get us promotion and sadly we’ve mouldered too long in this division , time to try to break out.

Red Devon

Wouldn’t have thought it’s the right time of the season for being too attack minded only ten games played it’s all to easy to lose matches with that approach…lose two or three matches on the bounce and we’ll be in the bottom half of the table something these extra draws has prevented from happening so far, anyway we’re still only 3 points off the automatic promotion places as it is, the season is a marathon not a sprint.

Banksy

Better to live one day as a lion and all that………
Someday we need to start breaking out of this draw pattern and better earlier then wait until the New Year when the gap with the leaders has become too great.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Better to live one day as a lion and all that………
Someday we need to start breaking out of this draw pattern and better earlier then wait until the New Year when the gap with the leaders has become too great.
One word - Bolton

Last year this time no one was even thinking they would be challenging, however a few shrewd deals in January and it's up up and away, see you suckers. Matt has confirmed that there is money available to deal in January, so let's see what that will bring, another Noble or Stubbs perhaps ;) .

In fact Stubbs could even be playing by then:ROFLMAO:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just seen a pig fly past my window.

jimmy

One word - Bolton

Last year this time no one was even thinking they would be challenging, however a few shrewd deals in January and it's up up and away, see you suckers. Matt has confirmed that there is money available to deal in January, so let's see what that will bring, another Noble or Stubbs perhaps ;) .

From what I make of it, he'll be only 3 weeks away in January.

Banksy

One word - Bolton

Ah Stubbs , the new Ajose . Yes , he may suddenly appear in December like a brand new signing I agree , but I’m not completely convinced on that one.🤫.
I do wonder about leaving things until January though , we didn’t dredge up much for our final push last time.Unless we really intend to splash the cash.Just hope that points gap hasn’t got too out of hand and we’re still in reasonable touch with the leaders.Fortunately we’ve got goals in Nombe and Jay , just got to use them right.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
One word - Bolton

Sounds familiar, I presume they will be 'marquee signings'? The January market is always a tricky one as we all know.

I actually think we have a squad good enough to get into the play offs this year even if we don't bring anyone else in, it takes time for everyone to gel and I think it'll come. A few consecutive wins in league 2 and you're up there.

Re the Newport game, if we have been brittle defensively of late, would it be sensible to move to a back 4? I didn't like Hartridge and Ray in a 2 in the latter stages of the Walsall game I felt they looked really fragile. This is what Matt is paid to sort, it's a tough balance being defensively sound whilst not sacrificing our attacking threat.

Last edited: