• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was unfortunately driving this afternoon and only just catching up now. I read that Flynn reckons they should have won as they were "by far the better team second half and Jamille Matt should have had a hatrick". Was this just the usual manager bull **** for his excuse or were we very lucky? Anyone see enough to say?
They forced Ward into a couple of smart saves at the end of the first-half but for all their domination for much of the second half Ward was never really tested. A draw was probably a fair result but if anyone was lucky it was arguably Newport who needed the intervention of the ref to get back into the game.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just read Taylor's after match comments on Devonlive. He was none to happy with the referee (I think he gets a feel of what to say from exeweb) but he does say that was a definite penalty! No complaints!
When on earth do you think he has time to read Exeweb? I don't know when the interview took place exactly but it was posted on twitter within about 40 minutes of the final whistle.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
You dont "win a penalty". If you're fouled by an opponent to the extent that you go down in the area, then its a penalty. Players dont set out to win anything. Todays refereeing talking point is missplaced. It was a near thing with the challenge you're talking about but contact was avoided by the defender. If the referee had given a spot kick for that there would be rioting in the streets FFS!

Youtube highlights for all the penalty doubters..
Pete you're quick enough to critique city's goalies but strangely you have made no mention of the Newport goalie and how he let the ball get through to Lee Martin for our goal.

Also reaading the Newport forum he did another howler towards the end which I haven't seen but as you followed it on iplayer you may be aware of it.

Just curious like for an expert opinion.

Arthur Davey

When on earth do you think he has time to read Exeweb? I don't know when the interview took place exactly but it was posted on twitter within about 40 minutes of the final whistle.
Indeed. Taylor was straight onto the ref as the officials were walking off at then of the game.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
You dont "win a penalty". If you're fouled by an opponent to the extent that you go down in the area, then its a penalty. Players dont set out to win anything. Todays refereeing talking point is missplaced. It was a near thing with the challenge you're talking about but contact was avoided by the defender. If the referee had given a spot kick for that there would be rioting in the streets FFS!

Youtube highlights for all the penalty doubters..
"Players don't set out to win anything". Yeah right.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pete you're quick enough to critique city's goalies but strangely you have made no mention of the Newport goalie and how he let the ball get through to Lee Martin for our goal.

Also reaading the Newport forum he did another howler towards the end which I haven't seen but as you followed it on iplayer you may be aware of it.

Just curious like for an expert opinion.
I really dont give a rats ass about Newports keeper, or the goals he lets in, but on this occasion it has to be said the goal he conceeded was truly shocking. I'm assuming he thought somebody in front of him was going to get to that cross, and was caught out when nobody did; allowing the ball to bounce only a few feet in front of him, by which time it was to late to react. Like the last two keepers in opposition teams, this one was obviously not very spry and no youngster. It was just as well for him he never had another serious save to make.

Re: Newports penalty. It was a slum dunk spot kick. Watch our player on the floor as he lashes out and brings down their player. He holds his head at what he's done immediately, and continues to do so as he gets up. He gets no sympathy and has nowhere to go. Taylor said after the game that it was a penalty, and it certainly was.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Flynn whingeing about the ref.

ryancooper327

Think this is from a Newport fan

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I really dont give a rats ass about Newports keeper, or the goals he lets in, but on this occasion it has to be said the goal he conceeded was truly shocking. I'm assuming he thought somebody in front of him was going to get to that cross, and was caught out when nobody did; allowing the ball to bounce only a few feet in front of him, by which time it was to late to react. Like the last two keepers in opposition teams, this one was obviously not very spry and no youngster. It was just as well for him he never had another serious save to make.

Re: Newports penalty. It was a slum dunk spot kick. Watch our player on the floor as he lashes out and brings down their player. He holds his head at what he's done immediately, and continues to do so as he gets up. He gets no sympathy and has nowhere to go. Taylor said after the game that it was a penalty, and it certainly was.
Pete. Matt didn't say it was a penalty according to quotes from him : he just said the penalty was "unfortunate".

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like Fake news Mike it's a case of interpretation