• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County Trust Ownership Ends.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
On your successful ownership model scale, where do you put our ability to stay in LG1 for lets say a decade?
I think that would constitute success for us. But I wouldn't want it to be the limit of our ambition.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well how you define success needs to be relative to the size of the club.

Would Man United being sustainable in the championship under a Trust Ownership model constitute success? No, of course not.

Would Barrow being sustainable in League One under a Trust Ownership model constitute success? Yes, definitely.

We're clearly closer to Barrow than Man United. We've never even competed in the championship in our history, so it's an unrealistically high benchmark to use to measure the success or not of our Trust Ownership model.
If their model is the same as ours i really couldn't see a club like Barrow becoming sustainable in L1, If they manage to come up, Like us they will struggle to sustain it long term. I know we've never been in The Championship and that wasn't my point, Even though i'd love us to be there i said until i see a trust run club in The Championship i think its difficult within that model to get there because of the financial restrictions that go with it.

tavyred

One of the major restrictors for us is we own no land. Our current ground either needs a complete revamp/re-design or we need a new site to offer a modern competitive experience for expanding the fan base and in turn greater income and stability.

Exeter is a compact smallish City and there are very few, if any, suitable sites. A money bags investor if they were looking for a suitable investment would probably discount us as not viable.
Our situation is certainly maybe a tad more complicated than some other clubs but it’s not insurmountable IMO.
The City Council may in the future be minded to cash in on the SJP site especially if the club is complaining about its limitations. There are examples of local authorities acting in concert with their football clubs for mutual benefit.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
If their model is the same as ours i really couldn't see a club like Barrow becoming sustainable in L1, If they manage to come up, Like us they will struggle to sustain it long term. I know we've never been in The Championship and that wasn't my point, Even though i'd love us to be there i said until i see a trust run club in The Championship i think its difficult within that model to get there because of the financial restrictions that go with it.
My point wasn't about Barrow, it was that seeing a couple of Trust run clubs being sustainable in the Championships is no measure of success of Trust ownership in and of itself; it's entirely dependent on the club.

denzel

I thought that Vince has now sold Ecotricity, and that the whole new stadium plan has been mothballed ?
I thought he had stayed on as CEO so full steam ahead on having the best stadium in non league

Colesman Ballz

Our situation is certainly maybe a tad more complicated than some other clubs but it’s not insurmountable IMO.
The City Council may in the future be minded to cash in on the SJP site especially if the club is complaining about its limitations. There are examples of local authorities acting in concert with their football clubs for mutual benefit.
That boat has sailed. Swansea Council built a brand new stadium as a new home for both Swansea and Llanelli RFC. Had City's collapse happened a few years earlier then maybe something could have been achieved in a similar vein with the Chiefs. But the Sandy Park development was too far advanced for anything to happen on those lines. ECC doesn't have the finances, they have been selling off their assets zx fast as possible for the last twenty years or more just to keep on an even keel, and the selling of of SJP would not generate anywhere close to the cost of a new stadium, that is fantasy.

DB9

My point wasn't about Barrow, it was that seeing a couple of Trust run clubs being sustainable in the Championships is no measure of success of Trust ownership in and of itself; it's entirely dependent on the club.
I think it is, Any fan wants their club to go as far as they can, Imagine a trust run club hitting The Championship, That in itself would give such a bounce for the trust model but in the real world and how The Championship is with the huge clubs in it, A few of them getting relegated to L1 and that makes it difficult for a smaller club in L1 to compete with them at the top of L1. The gap between The Championship and L1 is as big as it ever was now and look at us, We're in L1, When we look for players we have to go for certain types because of what we can offer them, Not a complaint, It is what it is but please don't think the trust model is some type of Utopian, idyllic world because if it were, They'd all be doing it.

denzel

Only thing I can think might change in the future is something like the relocation of the M5 services which has been mooted because of congestion it causes. Maybe there would be a site released there that could incorporate the type of development as described re FGR.
I believe the reason ECC are mooting having the services moved is to allocate land for housing, which is in precious supply as every available piece of land on the last 10 years has gone for student housing (including SJP). Also contingent on East Devon finding a site for services nearby, and all the politics that involves..

Mid Devon Grecian

I think that’s unlikely in the short/medium term due to the financial situation of most local authorities. Exeter City council have just made a massive mistake with their property development company Exeter Living. Eye watering losses I believe.

i8cornwall

Have Newport gone bust yet?