• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Number 10 - Sam Nombe - To Rotherham United

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Insane he doesn’t start. He makes our team so much better.

Clearly GC can see something the rest of us can’t.
can't see what the rest of us can, surely.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
As frustrating as it is not to have Sam on the pitch from the start, it is evident that If we start Stanno, Jev and Sam, we have absolutely nothing on the bench. With Sam's injury record and tiring defences, it makes sense to have him or Stanno as the impact player from the bench. I think GC is paying the price for MT not bolstering our front line effectively in the summer.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
As frustrating as it is not to have Sam on the pitch from the start, it is evident that If we start Stanno, Jev and Sam, we have absolutely nothing on the bench. With Sam's injury record and tiring defences, it makes sense to have him or Stanno as the impact player from the bench. I think GC is paying the price for MT not bolstering our front line effectively in the summer.
It can't be helped that Smith determined not to stay and I am sure that we will sign another striker. But Cox and Jay are on the bench to change things up top.

Also, leaving one of them on the bench just is not working in any way shape or form. We are finding ourselves losing matches before deciding to become a threat on the opposition goal when it is too late and all they have to do is be really organised.

Reactions: Egg

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It can't be helped that Smith determined not to stay and I am sure that we will sign another striker. But Cox and Jay are on the bench to change things up top.

Also, leaving one of them on the bench just is not working in any way shape or form. We are finding ourselves losing matches before deciding to become a threat on the opposition goal when it is too late and all they have to do is be really organised.
Cox hasn't been on the bench for the last few weeks. And leaving one of them on the bench worked well against Argyle and Wednesday - we were drawing with Argyle and leading against Wednesday until we went to three up front.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster

Jay isn't a striker and Cox has been carrying an injury all season and is clearly not ready for L1 football. I think MT should have brought in more bodies to the front line, rather than spanking budget on a defensive midfielder that never plays. Just my thoughts.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jay isn't a striker and Cox has been carrying an injury all season and is clearly not ready for L1 football. I think MT should have brought in more bodies to the front line, rather than spanking budget on a defensive midfielder that never plays. Just my thoughts.
In fairness Harper did play under Taylor a reasonable amount and he did Bring in Smith which has not worked out which is unfortunate and one we couldn't envisage in advance of his signing. As i Have said elsewhere i think Harper will be gone in January and this will free up budget elsewhere in the squad.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You talk a lot of sense, but I must take issue with much of this.

Firstly, as far as I’m aware, Sam has been fit pretty much all this season. Secondly, if you’re gonna start with one of Sam or Stano then, given his greater physicality, I’d any there’s a reasonably compelling case for making it the latter.

And finally, to say we have ‘absolutely nothing on the bench’ does a grave disservice to someone who’s scored 40-odd goals, and provided countless assists, in the previous two seasons.

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Playing Devil’s Advocate for a moment, MJ ‘isn’t a striker’ but scores goals [when given the opportunity], Stano is a striker but, thus far at least, hasn’t scored too many.

To be clear, I’m a big fan of Jay’s, just not convinced our best interests are served by him starting every game while Nombe is benched and our top scorer in each of the last two seasons is restricted to a few minutes off the bench [if he’s lucky].

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Playing Devil’s Advocate for a moment, MJ ‘isn’t a striker’ but scores goals [when given the opportunity], Stano is a striker but, thus far at least, hasn’t scored too many.

To be clear, I’m a big fan of Jay’s, just not convinced our best interests are served by him starting every game while Nombe is benched and our top scorer in each of the last two seasons is restricted to a few minutes off the bench [if he’s lucky].
Fair comment Egg. I get where you're coming from. I just don't see MJ as a striker and I know MT didn't either. Agree about the physicality comments buy with MJ as a backup would leave us very short o the bench (literally). I would-be amazed if GC doesn't address the front line in January. He will have funds to spend and I expect there will be incomings in that department.

AndyR

Fair comment Egg. I get where you're coming from. I just don't see MJ as a striker and I know MT didn't either. Agree about the physicality comments buy with MJ as a backup would leave us very short o the bench (literally). I would-be amazed if GC doesn't address the front line in January. He will have funds to spend and I expect there will be incomings in that department.
Well let's hope so. But my understanding from MT's comments at the time is that deal after deal fell through in the Summer and the only other forward signing we made (i.e. other than Jay Stansfield) - Harry Smith- went back presumably because he was homesick for the Smoke.
I think GC has inherited a very difficult situation and we'll just have to hope that he might unearth some solid talent that we haven't managed to discover or persuade to join us previously.