• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Number 10 - Sam Nombe - To Rotherham United

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
After Nombe got injured in the cup match at Cambridge (which we lost) we then lost three league games in a row. Admittedly, that was before Zanzala came in but still, Nombe's a big miss.
Agree, won't find a bigger fan of Nombe than me. However as you mentioned, since we brought in reinforcements our form has been good despite Nombe missing.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually thought Zanzala did a decent job, not helped by the referee who allowed their defence to batter him yet penalised him every time.

His nod back played an important part in Dieng's first goal (see the video in the matchday thread, post #237.

I think he will get better with more game time and both he and the rest of the team developing more of an understanding.

I though Phillips was poor, however, woeful first touch and didn't push himself to compete. Again he probably needs game time, but I thought MT got it right starting Oz and bringing Phillips on later.
Zanzala's general hold-up play and physical presence are pretty good but it would be good to see him getting on the end of crosses as well. On Saturday we pinged in cross after cross but he never seemed to be close to getting on the end of them.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Zanzala's general hold-up play and physical presence are pretty good but it would be good to see him getting on the end of crosses as well. On Saturday we pinged in cross after cross but he never seemed to be close to getting on the end of them.
And he missed a sitter second half, not that it would have counted as he was offside. In general I fear his ball control is well below that of all of his team mates alas

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was really impressed with him on his debut, perhaps he was playing out of his skin trying to impress (not that he's been terrible since).

The best way and the kindest way of describing Oz is that he's a handful...

Are you part of said medical team? do you have any information to back this up?

It's all here say being rushed back, he had no strapping on his hamstrings so wasnt any need for support. the physio's and sport science must have been okay with this.
Could easily be one of the other muslces in the hamstring group not the same injury. Way Sam was moving in the games I saw he wasnt trying to protect an injury either,
In not in their team, but lets just say i'm suitably qualified to make the statement I have made.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Confirmation that Sam's out for rest of season.
Rather than negativity can I suggest that ALL Grecians give Ozzie & Keiron as much positive support as we can as they have big boots to fill in the run in.
UTC

denzel

Confirmation that Sam's out for rest of season.
Rather than negativity can I suggest that ALL Grecians give Ozzie & Keiron as much positive support as we can as they have big boots to fill in the run in.
UTC

And Podge!

STURTZ

Absolutely. As well as having alternative attacking personnel, we need to have alternative attacking tactics. Last night's reversion to last year's model (Bowman to hold the ball up and play others in to score goals) didn't work because Zanzala isn't (yet?) good enough to fulfill that role.
Bowman wasn't good enough to play that role either!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman wasn't good enough to play that role either!
Grecians - we can only support what we've got !
UTC

StudentGrecian

We know we have a finisher in Podge, I’d like to see him and Zanzala up top together. But the again we’ve never looked much good without 5 back, so not sure it would work!