• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Number 10 - Sam Nombe - To Rotherham United

Smithyno6

I still think we have enough overall to go up. Hopefully Zanzala & Phillips start adding some goals and we will be fine.

Absoloutly sucks that Nombe is out for the rest of the season but hopefully this will allow him to recover properly and be completely ready to go for league 1.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As much as I love Nombe, he’s not exactly scored bucket loads. 7 league goals in 25 appearances. So, I still think we have enough firepower in the squad to get us over the line.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a big miss due to his all round play, but we’re not overly reliant on his goals in the same way that, say, Newport are with Dom Telford.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
As much as I love Nombe, he’s not exactly scored bucket loads. 7 league goals in 25 appearances. So, I still think we have enough firepower in the squad to get us over the line.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a big miss due to his all round play, but we’re not overly reliant on his goals in the same way that, say, Newport are with Dom Telford.
Agree. Also, our form without him in the side was more than decent enough so hopefully that continues.

Grecianpasty

He's going to be a big miss. Not only because of the quality he has, but because of the connection he has with Brown. To me, Brown looks a better player with Nombe on the pitch.

The only saving grace being that we still have options up top. Both Zanzala and Phillips will be fresh and ready to put in the work. Lets hope it works out for them!

i8cornwall

Keep putting all our Egg's in one basket then wonder why it all falls apart before long.

Hopefully Nombe is back soon and the team keep grinding out results but imagine this will hamper our chances for top three.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Keep putting all our Egg's in one basket then wonder why it all falls apart before long.
Absolutely. As well as having alternative attacking personnel, we need to have alternative attacking tactics. Last night's reversion to last year's model (Bowman to hold the ball up and play others in to score goals) didn't work because Zanzala isn't (yet?) good enough to fulfill that role. There are all sorts of different ways of creating convertible chances which will involve playing to the strengths, and avoiding the weaknesses, of people like Podge, Phillips and Coley

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually thought Zanzala did a decent job, not helped by the referee who allowed their defence to batter him yet penalised him every time.

His nod back played an important part in Dieng's first goal (see the video in the matchday thread, post #237.

I think he will get better with more game time and both he and the rest of the team developing more of an understanding.

I though Phillips was poor, however, woeful first touch and didn't push himself to compete. Again he probably needs game time, but I thought MT got it right starting Oz and bringing Phillips on later.

i8cornwall

It's all very similar to when stockley left and that isn't a dig at Matt Taylor as he can only sign players within our budget and who want to come here.

Id have liked to have seen more effort made to bring another Nombe player in during January, if the club had funds then it should have been spent, it was known that Nombe hadn't ever played this many games and might "break down".

Hopefully Zanzala comes good, personally I don't think he's fully fit and can see him being a great addition to come off the bench going forward into next season.

robchave

It's amazing how many medical experts with 20/20 hindsight we've got on these boards. Also those who think we should be able to carry a spare top quality striker, just waiting for his opportunity. How many can do that in league two? Amazing when you think that we've probably got more decent strikers on the books than we've had for years.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree. Also, our form without him in the side was more than decent enough so hopefully that continues.
After Nombe got injured in the cup match at Cambridge (which we lost) we then lost three league games in a row. Admittedly, that was before Zanzala came in but still, Nombe's a big miss.