• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Number 10 - Sam Nombe - To Rotherham United

Memphis09

Your right, but it wasn't just the pass, it was also they way he used his strength to hold off the defender who was all over him.
Definitely the reason why we are seventh fit Super Sam we would be top three

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Key man at the end getting the clapping going, even if he was shit I’d love him for that

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key man at the end getting the clapping going, even if he was **** I’d love him for that
Me too Max. I've also noticed Diabate doing something similar. Way to make yourself popular 😀

eurogrecian

If he stays fit we have a great chance. He's class!

scottus86

Your right, but it wasn't just the pass, it was also they way he used his strength to hold off the defender who was all over him.
That hold up play and strength was quality and something we just haven't had since he has been out.

His injury could have been a blessing in disguise though, it would have been awful to lose him in January, and after Randall being sold after a similar injury and continuing to have problems, perhaps other teams won't be keen to sign a potential "crock"

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What are the chances of keeping him fully fit through the remainder of the season?
We all love Sam's puppy dog enthusiasm but I think the trick will be teaching him not to sprint after every single lost cause and how to conserve his energy to be most effective. And while Phillips and Zinzala don't have his all-round skills they hopefully at least have enough physical presence to allow us to still play the same way when Nombe is being rested.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, and it was great that in the last 15 minutes for once we were the side who were bullying the opposition. The only reason I didn't specifically mention the hold-up play is because upper body strength is something you can work on in the gym. By contrast, the awareness of Jevani's run and the touch to be able to play such a perfectly weighted pass usually only comes from playing lots of football.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Any statto want to compare the WDL numbers for games Nombe started to those that he didn't?

It's great having him back, seems to have lifted everyone.

andrew p long

Any statto want to compare the WDL numbers for games Nombe started to those that he didn't?

It's great having him back, seems to have lifted everyone.

Of the above the first is only starts and the second includes sub appearances like Saturday. Only 2 games lost when Sam starts compared to 5 when he doesn't. But the really dramatic stats are those including sub appearances, showing that his impact off the bench is significant (which is really useful as presumably that's how he will be used in this fortnight of 5 games in 15 days.

andrew p long

Ooops, stats don't appear from the Soccerbase website. Results now copied over...

Only 2 games lost when Sam starts compared to 5 when he doesn't in broadly the same number of games. But the really dramatic stats are those including sub appearances, showing that his impact off the bench is significant (which is really useful as presumably that's how he will be used in this fortnight of 5 games in 15 days).

The stats are ( results in W-D-L format followed by %)

- for starts 7-9-2 versus 6-6-5 when he doesn't start. % are 39-50-11 as against 35-35-29.

- all games inc sub appearances its 10-10-2 versus 3-3-5 when he doesn't play at all. % are 45-45-9 compared to 23-38-38

So the stats tell us the blindingly obvious that we are a better team when Nombe plays!