• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonathan Grounds (departs)

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I accept that 'promises' may be be a poor choice of word, but regardless of how we describe his statement of intent, it has not come to fruition. It was not a case of him outlining his vision, he said that this is what I am going to do. Clearly things have not panned out as he intended and my main gripe is that he should have foreseen this possibility and not raised expectations as he did. Such was his apparent confidence, a number of us assumed that he had players already lined up, clearly this was not the case.
And what does "assume" make... ;). A taxi driver once "assumed" that I was going to drive onto a roundabout in front of a bus coming from the right. He was wrong and his insurance suffered. I still weren't happy with his assumption though :mad:

As for pace v experience, I don't remember Rob Edwards having much left in his legs when he signed, but he had a wealth of experience to get by with and pass on.

Last edited:
And what does "assume" make... ;). A taxi driver once "assumed" that I was going to drive onto a roundabout in front of a bus coming from the right. He was wrong and his insurance suffered. I still weren't happy with his assumption though :mad:

As for pace v experience, I don't remember Rob Edwards having much left in his legs when he signed, but he had a wealth of experience to get by with and pass on.
Your making it sound like assumption is the brother of all Fook ups. Which it is-however I think we were “right” to assume what we were being told was going to happen. I for one “assumed” we were going to “go for it” from the way Matt was talking. Unless the division is some what weaker than last season I don’t see us being any stronger based on who we’ve let go and who we have brought in so far. Comparing Rob Edwards to Grounds has no relevance whatsoever by the way.

raleighnc

The only good news in all this is that we’ll probably have a new, maybe competent manager after Xmas

geoffwp

I accept that 'promises' may be be a poor choice of word, but regardless of how we describe his statement of intent, it has not come to fruition. It was not a case of him outlining his vision, he said that this is what I am going to do. Clearly things have not panned out as he intended and my main gripe is that he should have foreseen this possibility and not raised expectations as he did. Such was his apparent confidence, a number of us assumed that he had players already lined up, clearly this was not the case.
Clearly it wasnt but hey ho. That's how its planned out. Personally I try to never make assumptions that might disappoint, best to just wait and see.

geoffwp

The only good news in all this is that we’ll probably have a new, maybe competent manager after Xmas
Oh for fck sake get real

Going a bit far there, we’re usually pretty good up until xmas…before faltering after.

robchave

Would you be saying the same thing if we had just re-signed Dean Moxey?
Yes, probably. I don't see your point.
I have no idea of the terms of Ground's contract, so I'm not able to judge as to whether it represents value for money. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't expect a player with his pedigree to still be performing at his peak. If he was still capable of that, then he wouldn't be signing for us.

raleighnc

Oh for fck sake get real
I’ve got real after the last 3 years underachievement, you should try it too

Rosencrantz

Your making it sound like assumption is the brother of all Fook ups. Which it is-however I think we were “right” to assume what we were being told was going to happen. I for one “assumed” we were going to “go for it” from the way Matt was talking. Unless the division is some what weaker than last season I don’t see us being any stronger based on who we’ve let go and who we have brought in so far. Comparing Rob Edwards to Grounds has no relevance whatsoever by the way.
How do you know that we have not "gone for it"? Do you really think that Matt said all that and then sat with his feet on the desk waiting for it to happen?

Just going for it does not equate to making it. We all would like to have signed gun players with big reputations by the time pre season training starts, but it doesn't always turn out that way. But not always for the want of trying.

I assume that we have tried to sign such players. As to what we have, I assume that it has not been as easy as some supporters assume it to be.

Average Joe

According to my Swindon friends they're all pleased to see him leave. They did go on to say none of the team played well last year and Grounds contributed to many awful displays