• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonathan Grounds (departs)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Meh

MerleyRed

I would love to be excited, but am utterly underwhelmed. Its almost beginning to feel that we have been taken for fools in believing any of Matts pre-season promises.

Rosencrantz

Experienced cover for LB/LCB in a squad lacking experience. Majority of games played in The Championship.

If he hadn't have just "Sweenied" his way out of the basket case that was Swindon there would have been a slightly different feeling I'm sure. The proof of the pudding etc...

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems he agreed with Swindon to terminate his contract after they failed to pay him in June. Grounds for divorce....................

iscalad

Never heard of him, but Grounds for optimism?

Boyo

Interesting signing. Has played approaching 400 times, largely in the Championship. Will add much need experience. Good luck to him.

andrew p long

somebody did suggest that Sweenz may have been doing some scouting at Swindon, but I see that Grounds (justifiably) decided not to attend for pre season when Swindon didn't pay his June wages.

PS looking forward to his answer to the 'how did the move come about question'!

STURTZ

Good move by City I think, doubt Swindon would have let him go without their financial difficulties so we profit, nice work Matt! He may be getting on but if has the nouse that Woodman had then I'll be well happy!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

somebody did suggest that Sweenz may have been doing some scouting at Swindon, but I see that Grounds (justifiably) decided not to attend for pre season when Swindon didn't pay his June wages.

PS looking forward to his answer to the 'how did the move come about question'!
What an absolute farce!

This news comes after new Town head coach Ben Garner made contact with the EFL to find out why two of his players - Brett Pitman and Grounds - had not reported back for the new season.

Grounds and Pitman had their initial Town contracts extended at the end of last season, but did not return to training in July after they weren't paid in June.

Discussing the situation regarding Pitman and Grounds, Garner said: "We’re looking into that now.

"We’ve made contact with the EFL to find out the situation. They weren’t in on Thursday but we’re looking into it to find out the exact circumstances of those two."

Grounds, 33, joined Town from Birmingham City last year.

Pitman's status with the club remains unclear.