• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Ground Feasibility Study

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bristol City, Reading, Coventry, Watford, Swansea, Wycombe have all successfully ground shared before.
Was that on a temporary basis or pretty permanent?

i8cornwall

Wycombe ground shared with a Rugby team and Reading Women’s team.
just reading ladies now, Wasps moved to Coventry a few years back leading to Coventry now being homeless.

make of that what you will but would be nothing stopping the rugby doing that with us if we ever had to ground share, hypothetically speaking of course.

Boyo

Assuming moving out of JSP is a serious proposal in the future:
I'm not sure that the majority of either City fans or Chiefs' fans would be into sharing. Maybe I'm old - fashioned but City's soul is at SJP. I don't see any problem at all staying there. From what I gather we have sufficient business / meeting facilities in a crowded market. And imagine having to traipse out to Sandy Park or an alternative out of town on a dark, rainy, autumn or winter night..For me we first must establish ourselves as a good Div 1 side first.
hange, but we don't want a white elephant or some soulless soup bowl.
In the end it would all depend on the Trust and its members, so hope they would make a wise decision.
The problem with staying at SJP is that our turnover (without transfer windfall income) is such, that our playing budget is average to low in L2. How do you establish being a good L1 side with that budget?

A good feasibility report (unlike the previous Drivers Jonas whitewash) will actually put some meat on the bones on what is possible, rather than this periodic speculation on here.

IndoMike

Bristol City, Reading, Coventry, Watford, Swansea, Wycombe have all successfully ground shared before.
I just checked it out. You're quite right : it's usually worked out quite well

Dannyred

just reading ladies now, Wasps moved to Coventry a few years back leading to Coventry now being homeless.

make of that what you will but would be nothing stopping the rugby doing that with us if we ever had to ground share, hypothetically speaking of course.
The Reading Women are playing at the Madejski stadium this season.

I agree and would be totally against sharing with the Chiefs.

The talk of a site in Topsham and SJP being more student flats seems like it’s a possible deal.

IndoMike

The problem with staying at SJP is that our turnover (without transfer windfall income) is such, that our playing budget is average to low in L2. How do you establish being a good L1 side with that budget?

A good feasibility report (unlike the previous Drivers Jonas whitewash) will actually put some meat on the bones on what is possible, rather than this periodic speculation on here.
I know for a fact that Ivor Doble was considering moving out of SJP probably 30-40 years ago, but it didn't get far.
Yes, there's no harm in doing a comprehensive analysis and evaluation.

Boyo

Was that on a temporary basis or pretty permanent?
Bristol City, Brentford and Swansea are all ground sharing with rugby this season, I believe. Saries were at Watford but now have the own stadium, similarly Wasps were at Wycombe but now have their own ground. Irish played at Reading but are now in with Brentford.

Incidentally, Coventry City played at the Rioch Arena but never owned it. It was owned by a private third party. Wasps then purchased the ground from the third party. Cov City have not been able to agree a rental agreement with Wasps, hence have had to ground share with Northampton and Brum City recently.

Last edited:

Boyo

The talk of a site in Topsham and SJP being more student flats seems like it’s a possible deal.
Ok I'll bite. What rumour of Topsham?

GJW

Coventry have never ‘successfully’ ground shared. Coventry always complained about the pitch. I watched quite a few games up there and it was awful, especially after the first few months of the season. They went to St Andrews which was a beautiful pitch and won promotion. Says it all.

GJW

Wycombe ground shared with a Rugby team and Reading Women’s team.
I think Wasps shared with Wycombe before they came to Coventry, and the rest is shitty history. Should never have been allowed.